PDA

View Full Version : Programable ECU ?

sandracer
08-15-2008, 01:39 AM
O.K. electronics gurus, I have a Hondata modified ECU in my Acura (K-Pro). I am fairly new to this system, but it is infinitely adjustable. Will I still need a EFEI???
Link to Hondata K-Pro........................http://hondata.com/kpro.html

Thanks, Lee

Eddie
02-18-2009, 02:42 AM
I do not know, I also want to find the protocol to comm. with the ECU. The CU should have a std. call OBDII, but don't know if you can re-program it.

Eddie

NightOfDarkness
05-16-2009, 07:30 AM
purchase a OBD2 to OBD1 Convertion cable and a OBD1 MODDED ECU or USED ECU and a Chip for $10 and do it yourself, soft avaliable for free to adjust your air/fule ratio

NightOfDarkness
05-16-2009, 07:37 AM
O.K. electronics gurus, I have a Hondata modified ECU in my Acura (K-Pro). I am fairly new to this system, but it is infinitely adjustable. Will I still need a EFEI???
Link to Hondata K-Pro........................http://hondata.com/kpro.html

Thanks, Lee

You dont need EFEI, soft avaliable FREE works with laptop connect to your ECU and adjust air/fule ratio LIVE - refering to integra with obd1 ecu if you have an RSX the equipment is too expensive to custom tune your ECU last i knew it was $1500, search tunner world ask around google and or forum tunner that pimp their rides and mod their ECUs, racing etc...

NightOfDarkness
05-16-2009, 07:42 AM
for RSX

AEM EMS ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM ECU 02-04 ACURA RSX

AEM's Plug & Play Engine Management System (EMS) are for racing vehicles and plug directly into a vehicle's factory ECU harness and requires no additional wiring or hardware. Windows™ compatible software (2000, XP, NT, 98, 95, ME) makes the task of copying, viewing and manipulating data as simple as a click of the mouse. An integrated tuning wizard allows users to create a base map specifically for a car’s configuration, regardless of what type of injectors, sensors, coils or other changes have been made. The AEM EMS's infinitely adjustable software allows tuners to program virtually any combination of engine control, power adders and auxiliary devices, and accurately delivers proper amounts of fuel and correct ignition timing for any boost level or operating condition.

ebay google search

up to $2k

better off with an integra

wsv3424
08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
do you know if anyone has figured out the systems w/4 wire afr's like the 3.4L v6 in the toy pre-runners ? seemed like this system was not solveable.
last time I was reading this forum all sorts of folks had the issue and couldnt find ,make a fix for it, news sinceanyone? thanx!

Helz_McFugly
08-31-2009, 06:47 PM
I would be more then happy to be a mod and help cut the spammers down.

Boltazar
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I've been reading for the last 6 months in whatever time I have about using these laptop tuners to make mods to the ECU for HHO use. I know that the timing has to be retarded because of the fame speed of hydrogen, but it's not like the old days of turning the distributor to acheve your results. Engine load changes constantly, engine temp effects timing, intake air temp an a hoast of other things have to be monatured and or changed. Temp is a big one, the ECU will dump gas into the air stream to cool a hot engine. Running HHO wll make the engine run hotter and if you reduce the gasoline at the same time you could do a lot of damage internally or fry your cats.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I think it can, but, there are a lot of things to take into account before one cuts back on gas.

EFFIes aren't needed O2 readings can be adjusted easly

Timing can be changed but knock sensors have to coinside with them, knock is the worst thing for an engine, besides sand.

Using a vaporizer in moderation will cool the burn but to much robs space for both fuels.

Idealy a dry cell will vary it's HHO output, not much is needed at idle and much more is needed WOT. Remember HHO is a gasoline enhancer not the primary fuel.

Any engine has to be in closed loop (hot) before these ECU mods take effect.

THERE MUST BE A FEW PROFESSIONAL ENGINE TUNERS OUT HERE PLESE SPEAK UP, WE NEEN MORE INPUT, Thanks

more4steve2000
09-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I've been reading for the last 6 months in whatever time I have about using these laptop tuners to make mods to the ECU for HHO use. I know that the timing has to be retarded because of the fame speed of hydrogen, but it's not like the old days of turning the distributor to acheve your results. Engine load changes constantly, engine temp effects timing, intake air temp an a hoast of other things have to be monatured and or changed. Temp is a big one, the ECU will dump gas into the air stream to cool a hot engine. Running HHO wll make the engine run hotter and if you reduce the gasoline at the same time you could do a lot of damage internally or fry your cats.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I think it can, but, there are a lot of things to take into account before one cuts back on gas.

EFFIes aren't needed O2 readings can be adjusted easly

Timing can be changed but knock sensors have to coinside with them, knock is the worst thing for an engine, besides sand.

Using a vaporizer in moderation will cool the burn but to much robs space for both fuels.

Idealy a dry cell will vary it's HHO output, not much is needed at idle and much more is needed WOT. Remember HHO is a gasoline enhancer not the primary fuel.

Any engine has to be in closed loop (hot) before these ECU mods take effect.

THERE MUST BE A FEW PROFESSIONAL ENGINE TUNERS OUT HERE PLESE SPEAK UP, WE NEEN MORE INPUT, Thanks

i have an installer who is going to be installing on cars for me and he tunes the ecu. in my opinion it has to be the best way to directly tune and mod for the hydrogen. i was actually reading about using the apexi afc. which i have in my 240sx with an sr20det swap, so the turbo would be a huge help as well and i was also trying to talk with him about a performance application like a switch or something. i was going to use a dry cell havent decided on a distributor yet.

as for the ecu tuning im also getting a truck that he was going to tune directly without an apexi efc. he was going to use some resistors probably off of the 02 sensor and some kind of electrical control box that he was going to hide in the dash. in a 4x4 truck i was looking at 35mpg. he said most of the time obd1 computers could only use resistors and possibly may not need anything else.

most ecus of cars with obd2 mostly 98 and up some foreign cars were before that i think. but they self check constanly and the electrical control box waits about 5 min till the new tuning setting will take effect and then the hydrogen is being pumped in. with some obd 2 cars you have to have a key code to get in there so your need to buy the key from the manufacturer some are around a $100. he is using scan tools and a mod to adapt it to his computer. some cars ecus are so hard programed that they wont take to the new settings so they wont get as good of gas mileage. im not sure if that would bring any harm to your engine if it doesnt take the settings either.

in addition to the dry cell and ecu tuning resistors and an electrical control box he is also installing a fuel warmer so that the fuel will be super heated it turns into a gas before it enters the chamber wich is more combustible than a liquid. a match will blow up gas fumes before the wet fuel.

but i havent started installing yet on my vehicles yet im still researching.

mtrhd440
09-25-2009, 05:33 PM
ECU reprograming is definatly the best option. As far as retarding the timing, it makes sense in a scientific sort of way. Have you ever tried advancing timing in the cruise range w/HHO? I have gotten pos results by doing this. Think about it, what car ever became more efficient by retarding the timing. Of course HHO speeds up the burn, but by less mili-seconds than a timing adjustment. As far as Toyota/Honda AFR's, they can be adjusted by using resistors. These do like a timing retard, I have 8 on the road w/ 100-150% increases in mpg.

biggy boy
09-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I have 8 on the road w/ 100-150% increases in mpg.

What years are these cars? Are they pre OBDII?

Boltazar
09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
MTRHD440 Sure would like to know more about your setups.

more4steve2000
10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
ECU reprograming is definatly the best option. As far as retarding the timing, it makes sense in a scientific sort of way. Have you ever tried advancing timing in the cruise range w/HHO? I have gotten pos results by doing this. Think about it, what car ever became more efficient by retarding the timing. Of course HHO speeds up the burn, but by less mili-seconds than a timing adjustment. As far as Toyota/Honda AFR's, they can be adjusted by using resistors. These do like a timing retard, I have 8 on the road w/ 100-150% increases in mpg.

that would be a great idea since the rpms drop more wind from driving faster makes it cooler so you would be able to use more hydrogen quite possibly ill look into that type of settings what if it was configured into cruise control becuase then the settings would now have their own switch per say

sceimo
08-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I am a newbie here and am looking into setting up an 08 tacoma v6 4.0 litre. I am really interested in what you have on the road and the setups you have tested.

theramsey3
09-05-2010, 12:42 PM
I cant believe no one has suggested the Mega Squirt ECU here http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-engine-management-system-wpcb3-unassembled-kit-p-59.html I love this thing.

jeffp
10-02-2010, 02:26 PM
I looked on the internet to see if anyone posted videos using HHO with this Mega Squirt ECU. I could not find any. It seemed to be designed for experts. I was not sure what it can be sued for. It seemed to be designed for racing etc.

But if you could describe how it has worked for you and any helpful information, everyone would like to know. I think I seen it priced at $400

chevymike
02-14-2011, 03:19 AM

AHH! nonono. Someone else said in this thread knock and sand are the worst things for an engine:rolleyes:. I'd have to agree sort of, but now with our nice knock sensors thats less of an issue, the truck I'm working on degrades 8-10 degrees stock, I could work on less if need be, you can't tune with more and every make/model ecm is a little different.

The worst possible possible thing in an engine could be water. Water = bricks in your cylinder, it doesn't compress. Think about it, you said it in your own post - HHO speeds up the burn. What happens as a result of the burn? heat and water. When you advance timing you are effectively changing the spark to flash earlier in the combustion down stroke before TDC. Cylinder pressure goes up and up. Think of it acting as if the exhaust valve "stays closed" a split second longer.... for higher octane (and higher energy) gasoline this creates a more full burn to push down the piston. You don't want to hold that water in from hydrogen, you want it to get the hell outa there. If you allow the timing to stay with advance, your knock sensor is going to pick it up, and retard as needed. It's much less efficient to run off a knock sensor because ECMs are programmed to delay timing off knock by a certain percentage of knock vs time or rpm to come back to stock. When you retard manually, you don't feel this delay after knock comes on because you're not relying on the knock sensor. Also hydrogen likes retard anyway, you're not making power or mileage with advance on HHO. Timing retard my friend, "open up" the exhaust valve earlier by delaying spark so you don't get detonation.

btw, oxygen in hho speeds up the burn a LOT. It would be similar to running hydrogen with a small inefficient supercharger, you wanna take out timing, it's not a powerful fuel and shouldn't be used as such. It does not increase octane under load in any situation ever, some people believe otherwise. Its good for low rpm cruising.

I have this extreme ridiculous doubt when you say your hondas/toyotas on the road get 100-150% better mileage. That would take an everyday small car to 80mpg+ hmm...

chevymike
02-14-2011, 03:38 AM
as to this thread, the megasquirt and hondata are ok for normal use... but not so much for the purposes of HHO or hydrogen. I mean, yes they'll let you take out timing and do this or that...

The megasquirt makes absolutely no sense for this application. It works by letting the user tune off wideband o2 sensors and an ECU in applications where there generally were none before. Like a carb to efi type thing. Or say you had a fuel injected rx7 and you threw out the rotary for a custom efi big block chevy;). Problem is with hydrogen you don't want it more complicated, you want it less complicated. Carbs would be much simpler to tune hydrogen on HHO than a fuel injected engine.

The hondata is ok for certain things, but again makes no sense for this application. It basically allows you to tune your engine at higher pressures and control a wider range of tables and features than the normal honda ECM. Awesome if you want to run a turbo, completely...WHY? if you want to run HHO and increase mileage.

Two things I would recommend if you are OBDII equipped, is EFI live and HPtuners. I use HPtuners and you can control basically everything there is to control on your entire PCM. Mine is set to run speed density = no MAF sensor although I can change back and forth. If you call those mail order tuner people who use HPT and EFIlive they're going to say go to a local tuner, whose going to say you wana do what? Then charge you out the @$$. I say leave it stock unless you have the means these voltage trickery deals floating around work well enough. OBDI systems I dunno I grew up in the 90's but I'm not aware of much of that generation of tuning and proms