PDA

View Full Version : Heat-shrink tubing

Painless
08-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Has anyone found a supplier of Heat-shrink tubing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing)?

I've been through both Lowes and Home Depot and asked staff, most of them don't even know what it is.

wljohns
08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
you can get the small stuff at radio shack

c02cutter
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
McMaster Carr has it, and I found this place too

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/heat-shrink2.htm

sp1r0
08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Mcmaster-Carr kicks ass! THE best selection when it comes to raw materiale. Check out onlinemetals.com as alternate for electrode materials. I've used both, excellent customer service, prices on the high side, but worth it!

smartHHO
08-20-2008, 11:10 AM
McMaster Carr has it, and I found this place too

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/heat-shrink2.htm

Biggest size I seen was 2". That was after shrinkage. I am wondering how much it would flex the SS if it tried to shrink more then what you wanted it to. Say your cell is 3", and it can go smaller. Grant it, the cell would have to get real hot to shrink it anymore.

cO2cutter, that stuff that you used from the sample, was it actually the same stuff? and if so, did you just put the 4" on and shrink it to where it needed to be? Thanks bud.

EDIT: Just looked at McMaster and the go up to 5.4" after shrinkage. Guess I am good. Thanks for the info.

Bossman
08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Harbor Freight has it also.

Painless
08-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I stopped at Napa Auto Parts on my way to work this afternoon to pick up some 10 gauge connectors, they had a decent selection of heat shrink tubing too!

godoveryou
08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Home Depot has it in the electrical department.

Painless
08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Home Depot has it in the electrical department.

Home Depot was the first place I went to, I looked for about 15 minutes through the electrical and plumbing sections and couldn't find it. I asked three different employees for it and they either didn't know what I was asking for or couldn't find it.

Looks like I was just the victim of bad luck there.

godoveryou
08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
LOL, look by all the terminals and zipties. I'm serious. In my local one it's right across the isle from the wire rack.

sm0kin
08-22-2008, 01:33 AM
oh come on now every one knows 15 minutes is just not long enough for looking at lowes you gotta be there at least an hour

c02cutter
08-22-2008, 10:02 AM
LOL at the 15minutes, I hate the places, 30 seconds there and I'm ready to scream.

I'm the guy that loves the days of the mom & pop corner hardware... They knew what they had, and you would have it before you in under a minute if they had it. Then you spent an hour shootin' the shit.

That was service!!!

The Home Depot and Lowes are basically a pain in the butt, and the people working there are only there for a pay check and take no pride on knowing what it is they sell.

godoveryou
08-24-2008, 11:28 AM
The thing with THD and Lowes is that you have to realize that you are shopping at a discount wholesale hardware warehouse.

Wholesale price means wholesale service. You just need to know that going into it. It's like going to Sam's Club, just for hardware instead of consumables. I've met a lot of guys that work at both establishments, and while Lowes attempts to be more customer service oriented, they are really after one thing - annoying your money out of your wallet. As soon as they find out your not there for an install, appliance, or as a contractor they drop interest. THD is the same way to a point, but mostly because how they are in a constant flux of "Adjusted hours," which means if it was slow on Tuesday and Thursday, you aren't going to find an associate there on Sunday because they've been told to go home. It's usually not the associates or store manager's fault, but the former CEO's, Bob Nardelli (spelling?). You know, the guy that didn't get paid from Chysler last year because he just continued to flush the business down the toilet. He screwed up THD long before that, back in 2000'ish I think.

GOY

Jason
08-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi guys... Keep in mind there are two types of heatshirnk. Wire heatshirnk and battery heatshirnk. Wire has hot glue on it and is thicker. Battery is much thinner and cheaper and shrinks better. I'd recommend battery heatshrink, so if you need to take your cell apart, you not have tons of sticky glue crap all over the place...

The battery heatshrink is kind of thin though, and you might want to layer it up...

I use to live in Taiwan, and knew stores that sold 3 and 4" heatshrink by the foot for about 30 cents!!! Maybe I'll try to import some...