Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Debate: Batteries vs alternator to power HHO cell

Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    My charger uses less than 1000 watts and I can charge a completely dead deep cell marine battery in 6 hours. At 12 cents a kwh I come up with 72 cents not $3.58
    1000w where did you see that rating?

My 10 amp charger is rated at 2 amp max on the 120 volt input.

120x2= 240 watts so even if it was running full tilt at 2 amps
    that would be 1/4 KWh per hour

I'm running a charging test right now and my max amp draw on the 120 volt side was 1.74 amps at start up. After 3 hours of charging its sitting at 1.4 amps.

Once the charge test is completed, I'll post the results using my new KWh meter.
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

next time you see a deal like the meters, you need to get on your phone and call every one of us on the forum and see if we want one. selfish *******
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Quote Originally Posted by Helz_McFugly View Post
    next time you see a deal like the meters, you need to get on your phone and call every one of us on the forum and see if we want one. selfish *******
    LOL just swing by the store and grab one I just google maped it and it's only
    a 22 hour drive. 2313 KM/1437 miles. Geez man stop being so lazzy

Glen
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

Quote Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
    1000w where did you see that rating?

My 10 amp charger is rated at 2 amp max on the 120 volt input.

120x2= 240 watts so even if it was running full tilt at 2 amps
    that would be 1/4 KWh per hour

I'm running a charging test right now and my max amp draw on the 120 volt side was 1.74 amps at start up. After 3 hours of charging its sitting at 1.4 amps.

Once the charge test is completed, I'll post the results using my new KWh meter.
    thats simply the wattage rating from the nameplate on the back of the charger. I'm sure I'm using way less. unless I slice open the cord and get a clamp on amp meter on the cord its imposible to get a accurate reading. Modern battery chargers have alot of sofisticated electronics in them so reading the amp reading on the DC side might not be totally accurate. From reading the specks on the chevy volt its massive battery pack only costs about $3.00 to charge. about the price of a donut and cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    thats simply the wattage rating from the nameplate on the back of the charger. I'm sure I'm using way less. unless I slice open the cord and get a clamp on amp meter on the cord its imposible to get a accurate reading. Modern battery chargers have alot of sofisticated electronics in them so reading the amp reading on the DC side might not be totally accurate. From reading the specks on the chevy volt its massive battery pack only costs about $3.00 to charge. about the price of a donut and cup of coffee.
    Even an amp meter on the A/C side would not give you a good number.
    Unless you know the Power Factor. thats why the Watt meters are nice.

My aquarium lights draw 2.63 amps at 119 volts, you think that would be 312 watts, but the PF is around .55__ my watt meter says it draws 175 watts.

Ok I did a test with one of the big batteries I’m planning on using to run my HHO gen.

The battery is an Exide Commercial Premium Heavy Duty. I have four of these.
    Model F-4DLT

See photo for battery specs.

I hooked up two headlight bulbs to the test battery and ran the cells down to 4 Volts under load.
    Disconnected the load and let it sit for 15 minutes to rebound
    Back up. The battery rebounded back to 10.72 volts under NO load.
    I then hooked up my 120 volt charger and set it for 10 amp charge setting.
    Using a fluke clamp on meter to read the amp draw to the battery and a fluke bench tester to monitor the batteries voltage.
    The charger was plugged into my new KWh meter.
    At the 2 hour mark the battery was drawing 7.4 amps, On the low voltage side.
    The charger was drawing 1.4 amps at 120 volts.

Here are the final recharge results:
    Charge time 13 hours 12 minutes
    Starting amperage DC 10amps
    Max amps at start up 120volt 1.78amps
    Max Watts at start up 120volt 187
    Total KWh 1.62
    My cost here in Ontario @$0.059 per KWh, this is average.
    Non peak is $0.042
    Peak is $0.076 average = $0.059
    Total cost to charge battery = 9 cents
    These numbers are direct read off from the KWh meter, that the charger is plugged into.

Man I need to get a better charger the 10 amp deal is too small.
    This one is old and very basic not even an automatic.
    I'm looking at getting one of the electronic pulse chargeres does up to 20 amps down to 2 amp trickle.

Roland, just curious, does it show what kind of power factor the load is? i.e. Lagging or leading(capacitive or inductive)?

$30 at www.skymall.com is this the one you got?

The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    Even an amp meter on the A/C side would not give you a good number.
    Unless you know the Power Factor. thats why the Watt meters are nice.

My aquarium lights draw 2.63 amps at 119 volts, you think that would be 312 watts, but the PF is around .55__ my watt meter says it draws 175 watts.
    correction the meter said the PF is .62 (not. 55)

Phill it does NOT say leading or lagging just PF, hz, watts, volts, amps, Kill a watt hr, and time.

mines a P3

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...title&resnum=1

Quote Originally Posted by Helz_McFugly View Post
    $30 at www.skymall.com is this the one you got?

Yes thats it exactly.