Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First off... which electrolytes NOT TO USE!

lou Guest
    I'm very new to this so I can't speak to efficiently of potash or SH in HHO systems. But I do work with potash and SH daily, and my first thought if either got into the engine would be I'll just have a cleaner engine. Now if I was to setup a dip tank and soak the block .... then we're talking something else entirely.

And are you guys buying the potash and SH premixed? I only use the bead/flake not much diff between the two.

All the types of gasses, and of course the bits of water that make it into the engine have to take SOME kind of LONG TERM effect...I was just wondering what components will take the first hit, and how long of a period of time to check on things in there...Places I would think of right away would be the valve seals, gaskets, and the catalytic converter....But then again I am just bench testing with salt water till I get some KOH this week...can anyone point out other places I may need to monitor, and what time intervals I should check? I know Diesel may actually benifit from a bit of the water getting in there, but what about all the other flavors of gasses?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

lou Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by computerclinic View Post
    All the types of gasses, and of course the bits of water that make it into the engine have to take SOME kind of LONG TERM effect...I was just wondering what components will take the first hit, and how long of a period of time to check on things in there...Places I would think of right away would be the valve seals, gaskets, and the catalytic converter....But then again I am just bench testing with salt water till I get some KOH this week...can anyone point out other places I may need to monitor, and what time intervals I should check? I know Diesel may actually benifit from a bit of the water getting in there, but what about all the other flavors of gasses?
    I would think regular PM is your best defense. I use potash & SH and mixed with a surfactant pressurized I make a de-greasing foam. I do this most every night. I can spray it on a wall and it will sit 30-45 minutes 6inches thick and eat/dissolve grease (I provide a service for restaurants). What I'm getting at is I've taken much the same mix and applied to my engine and undercarriage and let it sit for 30 minutes then rinse. No damage just clean engine.

timetowinarace Guest
    Don't use glycol. Works well at first then foams up so gasses can't get out.

And may make you ill. It did me for a short time.

timetowinarace Guest
    Don't use DMSO. It's not really a good catalyst without salt but I tried it for it's very high boiling point. It turned green and smelled like rotten eggs. It does this naturaly when organisms turn it to DMS. It has very low toxicity.

lou Guest
    I'm thinking I'll need to wear my MSA mask when figuring this out

Best electrolyte

The best I have found is potassium hydroxide. I have been running it for a couple months, and it dosen't cause rust and gunk in my jar. Tried baking soda, in 2 days so much rust you can't see the electrodes. Sodium hydroxide is better, but still causes rust. It is SOOO much nicer to just add 1/2 oz distilled once or twice a week.

lukeoid1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTR0N3RD View Post
    I think i will just stay with baking soda, or maybe try this "Lye" thing everyone is screaming about.
    Another thing with baking soda I just found out, it degrades at higher than 140 degrees F. Sodium hydroxide (Lye) supposedly will take a temp of 300+.
    I tried baking soda, but Lye works better in that:
    1. cleaner plates, so less maintenance, and plates last longer
    2. cleaner electrolyte, much much less of a problem here : (with baking soda, very murky after 4 days back and forth to work)
    3. much better HHO production, IMPRESSIVE
    4. less heat : Just got a pwm, but getting impressive production at only 5-6 amps!

I'm so pleased with the change, I think you will be too. You can get it at Lowes, and on tub will last a very long time.

As was mentioned elsewhere, always wear safety goggles with servicing. I keep a big bucket of water and a hose ready and close by when doing any work her for additional safety. Just be careful. Have a plan to deal with splashes and spills, and things will be good.

For the bucket of water, I'm going to start using water collected from my heat pump. Cheaper and less hassle than buying at the store.
    GGTY!

New here,,, Hi everyone...

Question about the lye electrolite??? How much do you put in to the gallon? I recently got a new generator and I certainly don't want to ruin it by using baking soda.

GOplayer Guest
    My first road test using an improved version of the Water4gas type of HOD Generator (two of them hocked up on parallel) and Sodium hydroxide (Lye) 5 ml in aprox. 1 quart distilled water:
    1: First 15 miles noticeable increase of power in the engine. Amp reader was on 5 amp Temperature was below 140F.
    2: Amp reader was on 10 for the next 15 miles the HOD Generators heated up to 200F before I could pull over and shut it down.
    3: No visible damage to the HOD Generator so next day I power it up again but got not a single bubble! Tested the current right in the generator itself and got the power there. Changed the water and tried 1 ml Sodium hydroxide then went up from there to over 5 ml again but no bubble.
    Conclusion / question: If the electricity is present, water with Sodium hydroxide is there but no electrolysis taking place then what is going on? The surface of the electrodes got coated? Did the chemical composition of the electrolyte change under the increased temperature? Are the agents of misinformation using Sodium Hydroxide knowing that it can render an HOD useless once it heats up? Anyone experienced similar results? Any suggestions?