Thread: Retarding the ignition

Flapdoodle Guest

Retarding the ignition

I made the first test of my latest generator with plenty of hydrogen. But if I retard the timing the vacuum drops, which I am sure makes it use more fuel.

Anyone here played with the timing using HHO?

alba Guest
    If you have a good and balanced engine without the device installed, i don't see the need for you to adjust the igniton timing..
    Anyway, I would like to know how you generate plenty of hydrogen with your device.. Can you please share..

Flapdoodle Guest
    I have made almost daily notes here:
    http://flapdoodledinghy.com/HHO_generator.html

Since the hydrogen makes the fuel/air charge burn faster it is necessary to retard the ignition to prevent ping.

FizzMaster Guest
    Flapdoodle, I can't be of any help regarding ignition timing but I wanted to tell you that your site is great! You've got a lot of good insights there.

You mention not adding electrolyte into a larger cell until the current maxes out but rather creating multiple small cells with less current flow. Why is that?

Flapdoodle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FizzMaster View Post
    Flapdoodle, I can't be of any help regarding ignition timing but I wanted to tell you that your site is great! You've got a lot of good insights there.

You mention not adding electrolyte into a larger cell until the current maxes out but rather creating multiple small cells with less current flow. Why is that?
    Thank you very much.
    Adding more electrolyte (making a stronger solution) results in more hydrogen, but also heat and plate erosion. Of course cell design and type of electrolyte etc are factors. Increasing the temperature runs the risk of thermal runaway on a hot day, which is guaranteed plate erosion.

truck4dog Guest
    Great website. Thanks for the info!

Ronjinsan Guest
    Very informative website! Great statistics, I love to see a master of improvisation using anything at hand. Some very good money saving ideas many thnx I will check in there regularly. How do you count bubbles?

h-power Guest

Reliable data

Flapdoodle, as others have said your site is one of the better sources of unbiased info. Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there which makes drawing conclusions difficult at best.
    As a result I have been doing my own tests and relying on that data which I know to be accurate. I have also used your experience as reliable data.

I am a certified master tech and have been in the automobile business for more than 40 years. I have been building generators now for about 3 months. I have most installed in vans and trucks both diesel and gas.

Most gas powered vehicles on the road today are OBD11. This means that ignition timing is a non adjustable event. The good news is that ignition timing is controlled by the ECU which will automatically adjust for knock(ping). I have a unit installed in my 99 Doge Dakota with no engine mods. The unit uses an externally added radiator and a water pump to control temperature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ronjinsan Guest
    Hey H-power we must be the oldies on this forum! I am also a master tech and celebrate 42 years in the auto trade. I started this quest for HHO power almost 2 years ago now and am still intrigued! Cheers....

h-power Guest

Maybe making a change

I had tried using KOH as an electrolyte but stopped after I discovered it had eaten the cooling radiator I had installed to control heat build up.
    I switched to baking soda to preserve the radiator. This week I discovered one of the first units I built stopped working. Upon inspection found the stainless steel plates had disintegrated and had opened the circuit. It appears that this is the source of the 'browning' in the water.

Now I'm going to go back to KOH but without a water pump and radiator because it has no effect on the stainless. I will add an external electric cooling fan it its place. Anyone tried this??