Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sp1r0 Cell

sp1r0 Guest
    Can't wait for testing! I am stuck at work dreaming of this thing. I need a PWM dammit! I dont want to burn the coils up. I am ordering the parts for zerofossilfuel's PWM (alt-nrg.org) tomorrow. Next weekend I should have some results and observations. I spent alot of time on this coil winding jig, I should've thought about a PWM. I'm off to dream about electrohydrodynamics...

sp1r0 Guest

Sp1r0 Cell.

OK, did a quick test today with the first completed stage of the cell I posted in the first post. I submersed the cell in regular tap water after making sure the coil was not shorted to either of the tubes. Hooked it up to a battery with 12guage solid wire and got huge sparks like something was shorted (thinking back, it may have been an inductive spark). Removed the cell and double checked for shorts. None. Measured the resistance between the tubes and the coil while in the water at 6 ohms, which means it should have only been drawing 2 amps. This spark was more on the order of 20-30amps. Anyway, I proceeded to hook it up for about 10 sec's through another coil I made (just a quick 6 ohm power resistor). It was making a gurgling sound. Took it out and found out that non-insulated wire will not work. Copper oxide formed on the coils and shorted it to the SS316 tubes. My attempt to attract the Oxygen Ions to the SS316 tubes by hooking up the tubes to the negative battery terminal didn't work. I figured if the copper wouldn't oxidize it would be ok. Did I get the polarities wrong? I know that current flows to the negative but here's the dictionary.com definition of an anode:

anĀ·ode

1. the electrode or terminal by which current enters an electrolytic cell, voltaic cell, battery, etc.
    2. the negative terminal of a voltaic cell or battery.
    3. the positive terminal, electrode, or element of an electron tube or electrolytic cell.

Maybe you see why I am slighlty confused. Do I have it backwards?

My initial concept putting coils in between tubes was to make more surface area and I believe if the coil was made from SS316, I would have been successful. Here's a couple pic's from the test: copper oxide, conductive.

Initial formation of cell.

Oxidized copper after 10 sec.

Closeup.

sp1r0 Guest
    Next test will be magnetic (insulated) wire, but I am not impressed with the HHO production with just the 2 tubes (without the coil). and I doubt a 6 cell concentric tube cell will be any better. The gap is just too large at .125". I will probably save these tubes for when I come up with a way to successfully wind ss316... I may go back to my SS316 12 plate cell (2"x12"x.0625) gapped at .045" and come up with some sort of coil system around it in an attempt to make the ionized water "flow" along the electromagnetic lines. It will still be a sp1r0 cell though, as it will incorporate at least one electromagnetic coil.

One more experiment b4 I commit to my old plate cell, is to pulse a coil under water made from magnet wire. This supposedly generates HHO too? (according to run your car on water .pdf)

countryboy18 Guest
    i am a clyndrical cell out of copper wire and the same corrosion happend only to one of the wires and not as bad to the other. you should try it again just change the +and- around.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    If you wrapped the outside of the outside tube with a 316 coil nice and tight, and put another 316 coil inside of the inside tube, nice and tight, would this not give each tube new electromagnetic properties?

sp1r0 Guest

Oops

This morning I was thinking that there had to be a short with sparks as big as I was seeing when I was hooking up the cell. I decided to put thin strips of paper between the coil and tubes, and it worked. Measured resistance of about 9 ohms. Ran it for 3 minutes straight 12VDC, everything was cool to the touch after disassembly and the coil was not crudded up with oxidized copper. This time I made the copper coil negative, and the two tubes positive. I need to get my hands on an ammeter so I can measure current. Check out the video I made. First time on Youtube, so forgive the out of focus for the first half. Half decent production for such a small cell, I think. You can tell in the video there's pressure building up when the bigger bubbles finally make it to the surface...

The Inner tube is .652ID, .750OD and the outer tube is .995ID, .1.125OD. With the coil in between it effectively doubles the surface area, which I figure to be (37.5x2)+(28.3x2)=~132sqin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrfI7UV0pQ

And the coil looks much better...

sp1r0 Guest
    Going to resume testing when I receive some .010" thick silicone adhesive teflon tape which I just ordered. I'll use it in 1/8"x12" strips to isolate the coils from the tubes. The fishing line is good for separating the coil vertically, but not horizontally against the tube. By this weekend, I should have this 1st stage straightened out, ready for the 2nd stage. I think I'm on top of the 20% learning curve...

sp1r0 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDROTEKPRO View Post
    If you wrapped the outside of the outside tube with a 316 coil nice and tight, and put another 316 coil inside of the inside tube, nice and tight, would this not give each tube new electromagnetic properties?
    Gotta hold off on the SS316 wire. It's a whole 'nother headache man...

Nat Hat Guest

Wink

just make sure everytihng is firmly planted before you juice this thing. Looks similar to a launcher sylinoid me and a friend made. That expirement ended with the inner pipe being lodged nearly four inches deep into a tree that was about sixty feet away. Mind you we were using steel and the end result was likly due to its magnetic properties, but just the same be cautious.

sp1r0 Guest
    Thanks for the heads up