Thread: aluminum and stainless

sm0kin Guest

aluminum and stainless

ok had a thought of using aluminum conduit 1/2" as my negative. basically tube design. tubes being negative and ss rods being positive. I have seen post on the boards saying not to mix metals in the cell but i have also seen post saying negatives can be a softer metal. I of course like most of us am trying to be cheap. looking at most tube designs they use all tubes but wouldn't the inside of the middle tube kinda be useless.

Jaxom Guest
    You are correct that the inner surface of the smallest tube does not produce in a Joe cell design. If you use a rod down the center you should sand it to roughen the surface...that'll increase the effective surface area and help relieve the SA skew that tube designs are known for. You could also use a threaded rod instead of a smooth rod.

As far as aluminum is concerned, I have heard that dissimilar metals can be used for the electrodes but have not fooled with it myself at all.

I see you're in Alabaster....I'm in Tuscaloosa but lived in Shelby County for years. We should get together sometime and compare notes....I know a few guys here in T-town who are playing with HHO as well.

JojoJaro Guest
    NaOH will eat up that Aluminum even without current.

I dipped my Centrifuge rotor in a NaOH water bath and a few hours later, it was all back.