Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier water

jimbo40 Guest

Dehumidifier water

Can I use Dehumidifier water in place of distilled.
    In a sense it is distilled , just not with steam.

Walt Guest
    I would bet the refrigerant coil on the dehu is less than sanitized. I would stick with distilled.

jimbo40 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I would bet the refrigerant coil on the dehu is less than sanitized. I would stick with distilled.
    Do I care how sanitized it is, after all im not drinking it.

Walt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo40 View Post
    Do I care how sanitized it is, after all im not drinking it.
    I think the point of distilling is to remove impurities. Then we add our own impurities in the form of KOH and such. My point is duhu water is only as pure as the air that passes across the refer coil. I doubt that would meet distilation standards...probably not even tap water standards.

jimbo40 Guest
    Agreed, but as for the water itself should be free from mineral and the like.
    The only thing in there would be germs and bacteria, which I would assume be killed quickly by the electrolyte and the process.

Cadillac Guest
    What is dehumidified water?

Dusty I think....

I've just tested three water samples using a tds meter (total dissolved solids) it measures in 'parts per million' the higher the number the more solids are in the water and the electrical conductivity is higher:

a) tap water 225 ppm
    b) reverse osmosis water 12 ppm
    c) dehumidifier water 22 ppm

i've used them all and would say dehumidifier water is best of the bunch, i think its because the humidity is drawn from the bricks in my cellar but the brick is left with like crystal on it, this i believe is the nutrient salts which are not being carried in the moisture, i just filter the water with a paper towel in case any random particles which may have found there way into the tank then add koh.

the reverse osmosis water is good but over a long period goes dirty, its not the same as normal water filters as the r o unit runs any contaminates to waste unlike normal filters which just collect it, with new filters its been as low as 001 ppm and tastes lovely, if you take a sip of tap it tastes ok ... then a sip of r o and its really nice and soft on your tung, take another sip of tap and its the worst water you've ever tasted ... anyway i'm getting off track a bit there ...

sorry there's no deionized or distilled ... maybe another time.

Martin.

Water tests update:

e) De-ionised water 0 ppm

This water has to be the best at 0 ppm, pure and ready for your desired additive.
    water samples b) and c) worked well in NaOH and KOH electrolyte's but with e) de-ionised at 0 ppm you know "exactly" where you are.

I hope my water test's have been helpful, if there's anything someone would like me to stick my probe in? ... just let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpower Generation View Post
    Water tests update:

e) De-ionised water 0 ppm

This water has to be the best at 0 ppm, pure and ready for your desired additive.
    water samples b) and c) worked well in NaOH and KOH electrolyte's but with e) de-ionised at 0 ppm you know "exactly" where you are.

I hope my water test's have been helpful, if there's anything someone would like me to stick my probe in? ... just let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Martin.
    You just keep your probe to yourself and will all be OK.

I'd add that Tap water varies, Phoenix AR has 1300 PPM TDS at times. While Atlanta Ga Tap water could be as low as 30 PPM.

So when some claims they don't need electrolyte, the differences in tap or distilled water may explain that.

If the water is deionized (with a measurement of 0 TDS or better yet 1800 ms) then where talking pure water as far as TDS.
    Even with DI water the Type Ionization (to much cation or anion) can effect the PH, and weather that can effect electrolysis is unknown to me.
    Also a lot of distilled or De humidifier water can have copper in it, from the coils.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."