Thread: Gen I finally received off of ebay

smartHHO Guest

Gen I finally received off of ebay

OMG, you should see how this thing was built. Ordered it 3 weeks ago off ebay, looked cool. But I am wondering how many ppl are either blowing up or not getting any production.

The plates on this thing or not even making sense. Guy used a SS threaded rod on both top and bottom. Has Normal SS Nuts + 2 plastic or rubber washers between each plate. Here is how the plates are due to the shorting of them.

+-+-+-+-

I just don't see how you can get 2LPM from this combo. I am going to test it out this weekend, but still don't see it. The total width from plates spacing with nuts is 2.5 inch x 2.5 inch. Guess I see and let you all know. Hehe. But hey, he made 58 total, with shipping off me. Oh well, better then paying a butt load more. Have a good weekend all if I don't log on during.

SmartHHO

sm0kin Guest
    would love to see i pic of this thing. maybe we should start a thread specific to rip off systems people have bought.

c02cutter Guest
    One thing with ebay, don't buy from a guy that is making claims for production. 2Lpm seems impressive, but there are so many variables involved. I have found a few things playing with my cells, and still have not done a flow test. One is that brand new fresh plates in new electrolyte always seem to produce less at the beginning.

Reason 1, I have seen that in order to produce temp needs to be above ambient temp. If I mix fresh electrolyte it will be cooler than the temp in the room. Less production...

Reason 2, I have seen where new plates need a burn in period. This can be attributed to the mill finish on the plates having a thin oxide coating from the milling process.

Reason 3, what a person claims may not be the mix he is actually using. I say this as I will weigh liquid NaOH when adding it to my cell. I do this as cold, and with temperature increase, may have to tone the NaOH down to run in the parameters I try to run with to protect my bench supply.

Reason 3, how did they measure the output? I have seen everything from a guy calculating from bubble size in the bubbler, to guys working with flow gages. A timed bottle fill would be a good representation of output, but can be misleading in a real world install in a vehicle. I have a flow meter that will work, but only as a representation, as there are none that are truly rated for HHO.

Just when buying from an ebay dealer, remember there a lot of variables that are involved. I sell there, but will never sell a complete cell as the liability is far to high to do so. I sell parts, and suggest an assembly that works for me. It may not work for you. Or it may work better... I will say here that if people are selling complete cells that they are using the best of the best of marketing when claiming what it can produce.

I might be too, but I'm not. Just show results...LOL

sm0kin Guest
    cutter what is your ebay user name? not sure if its ok to post or not but would love to see what ya got.

godoveryou Guest
    I had long ago considered selling on Ebay.

Some important questions to ask the seller if he doesn't declare them up front would be to find out if and how the plates were conditioned. For instance, every time I build a new cell, after all the sanding, grinding, drilling and dimpling is done I soak the plates in NaOH for about 7 days, then run low current through them for another 3 days in a fresh bath of NaOH, changed every day (vented to the outside of course, don't do it in your house).

Plate conditioning is the biggest battle with pre-assembled cells. I don't much care about LPM claims because that's all variable anyways. Elevation, tempature, etc can all affect it. I've built cells that generate massive amounts of HHO in the afternoon, and 6 hours later generated half of what they previously did despite retuning my PWM.

GOY

c02cutter Guest
    I'm c02cutter on ebay too.

godoveryou Guest
    Oh I'll have to check out your products.