Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new guy here with a few questions

amperage

Wow 750 ml is really good at 3amps. Sounds to me like you should put your drawing board on the site because its good.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

wire size

Quote Originally Posted by xjguy View Post
    ok if i step up to 8 awg wire the bolts in the top that i use as my terminals are 1/4" diameter should i step that up as well or are they getting hot because of so much resistence on the wire
    1/4" ss terminals should handle 30amps easily enough. I currently use 5/16 ss bolts and have pumped 60 amps through them. They havent gotten hot yet. I originally used 12 gauge wire, but like you it got hot. I then bought 8 gauge 1000 watt wire. I use that and 4 gauge. The 8 gauge I used is multi strand audio wire. The box says its good for 1000 watts, thats about 70 amps at 14v. I have gotten it hot before, but that was at about 45 amps. The 4 gauge wire hasnt gotten hot yet. I believe its rated for 120amps, but not positive.

xjguy Guest
    thanks for the info i have changed plate config again ill update when i have results

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    1/4" ss terminals should handle 30amps easily enough. I currently use 5/16 ss bolts and have pumped 60 amps through them. They havent gotten hot yet. I originally used 12 gauge wire, but like you it got hot. I then bought 8 gauge 1000 watt wire. I use that and 4 gauge. The 8 gauge I used is multi strand audio wire. The box says its good for 1000 watts, thats about 70 amps at 14v. I have gotten it hot before, but that was at about 45 amps. The 4 gauge wire hasnt gotten hot yet. I believe its rated for 120amps, but not positive.
    8awg is not good for any more than 50 amps or so (or about 600w). Trust me on this, I almost burned my car down using 8awg wire for an amp which was quite a current hog, pulling 80 amps at full tilt. Cheaper wire of the same gauge is also undersized, making it capable of even less. You get what you pay for in essence.

I use wire from a company called KnuKonceptz, their website is http://www.knukonceptz.com/ Their wire is amazingly flexible, and the "Kolossus" series wire is oversized as hell. Their Kolossus 4awg is technically 3awg lol... their stuff is solid, and VERY affordable.

When in doubt, go bigger.

xjguy Guest
    we just ran another test we used 11 plates +n-n+n-n+n-
    1/4 teaspoon of KOH and at less than 1 amp at 14.4 volts we hit 1 liter in less than 45 seconds. however after 3-4 minutes it was hot possibly boiling. our gap between plates is 1/16th

any ideas on how to cool this down without running a cooler?

**edit** we are questioning the integrity of our dvom so we are going to try an old analogue meter now under the same circumstances to see if we are really drawing such little amperage

ps does koh put of any harmful fumes as its being used?

amperage

Yes, what ever your using to measure your current draw is defective. At 1 amp you should not get hot. I would bet your drawing better than 15 amps to get hot that quickly. Most multimeters only read up to 10 amps, so hopefully you have somthing better. My container holds 1 gallon of water and I use 1/4 teaspoon of NaOH. I have 16 plates that draw 30 amps. I can run for a few hours w/o getting too hot, but I have a cooling line that helps keep things below 140 degrees. KOH puts off chlorine gas according to wikipedia.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Potassium Hydroxide KHO will not put off Chlorine gas. It has no Chlorine in the molecular formula. Potassium Chloride KCl will put off Chlorine Gas.

KHO <> KCl

There's a lot of differences between the two. The first is Potash Lye. The second is the 3rd chemical injected when the justice system performs a lethal injection. (Useful Trivia Knowlege)

Sodium Chloride (Table Salt) will put off Chlorine gas too.

Mr. Smith

Chlorine gas

Humpf, guess I shouldnt trust wiki then...lol

Ronjinsan Guest
    Add neutral plates and pull vacuum!

xjguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronjinsan View Post
    Add neutral plates and pull vacuum!
    pulling vacuum will actually help keep the temp down? if i am correct if the kit is installed on a car the intake would pull a vacuum right? so if we start testing our unit on a car actually hooked up it may actually run cooler?