Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why not ac?

Johnh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnh View Post
    As I understand it Bob Boyce did not use AC but 110 volt DC will check it out when time and repost here if I am wrong
    John.
    Quote from a post by Bob Boyce

I then experimented using a 300 watt pseudo-sine wave inverter that had been modified so the base frequency could be adjusted between 700 and 800 hz. The stepped sine wave output was fed through a bridge rectifier which turned each stepped sine wave into two positive stepped half waves.

This was in regard to his final design, Bridge rectifier = DC current
    John

dennis13030 Guest

AC vs. DC

Alternating Current(AC) does not necessarily mean current that changes direction. AC just refers to current that is changing it's value over time.

I.e. An AC source goes from +60V to -60V and continues to travel between these two values. It is AC and it is changing directions. Now our AC source goes from +60V to +30V and continues to travel between these two values. It is AC but it is NOT changing directions. This second example is sometimes called pulsing DC.

Rectified AC is still AC but now it no longer changes direction.

I also do not believe that applying AC to an electrolyzer will cause ANY recombination of Hydrogen & Oxygen back to water(there is no theory that supports this).

I believe that if you use the +60 and -60 idea, then all you are doing is changing which plate is your anode/cathode repeatedly. What you end up with is a plate creating Hydrogen for 1/60 of a second and then Oxygen for the next 1/60 of a second. This would bounce back and forth 60 times every second (or 50 for those in Europe).

The recombining of HHO into water requires an ignition source and would be very violent. I don't see that happening by just using AC.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

countryboy18 Guest
    so what is the dission. if i go out to my shop and plug in a power cord and wire it to 2 plates + - what will happen normal water nothing else. i can start it like 4 inches away and move it 1/2 inch at a time till what. hopefull HHO or the breaker will pop. WHAT WILL HAPPEN i dont want to kill my self. i think i will get amazing results with alot of heat do to just using 2 plates.

Since you only need 1.69V on a +- configuration to produce HHO, using NaOH, everything above that will generate heat. So yes, you will probably get good results until the generator melts through your work bench.
    --

countryboy18 Guest
    but it should not spark and explode? right!

AC for hho

A few months ago someone asked if reversing the polarity of the power would increase generation of hho. Thoery was, the reveersing would knock the bubbles off the plates.

I set up a test at 12 volts with a relay to reverse the voltage about 90 times a minute.

The generation was dismal. Less than half the generation of straight DC.

Not sure why, just did the experiment and reported the results.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy18 View Post
    but it should not spark and explode? right!
    I suspect the worse that can happen is you trip the circuit breaker.
    --

John79 Guest
    AC is alternating current it is no good for producing hho. I tried using a transformer at 24v ac 40amps. It barely bubbled at all but with only 12v dc the cell will bubble like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    I suspect the worse that can happen is you trip the circuit breaker.
    Thats trip the circuit breaker after the bright flash!