Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plate Spacing Advice

Plate Spacing Advice

I am about ready to build my (Smack's-like) booster. Looking at the smacks design using the stainless steel nuts, it appears like they only end up with three neutral plates by my understanding.

Wouldn't it be better to use nylon washers in place of the nuts to essentially give you more neutral plates and drop more voltage? From what I have read here, that is the key to less heat.

godoveryou Guest
    Two points you are missing I think.

First, the SS nuts are conductors. The Nylon washers are dielectric spacers. The SS nuts are required to conduct power from "Neutral" cell to cell.

Second, the smack design is massively inefficient as far as heat and wasted power. It has nothing to do with the number of neutral plates and everything to do with current leak. It's a single bath cell. It's intended to be a 7 or 8 "Cell" device, but since the electroylte is shared openly, current jumps the electrodes, and it's really a single cell device with multiple gas chambers.. The jumping electrodes heats the fluid and draws incredible power. It's a horrible design, I hate to see people build them unless they can do it for under $30.

GOY

Quote Originally Posted by godoveryou View Post
    Two points you are missing I think.

First, the SS nuts are conductors. The Nylon washers are dielectric spacers. The SS nuts are required to conduct power from "Neutral" cell to cell.

Second, the smack design is massively inefficient as far as heat and wasted power. It has nothing to do with the number of neutral plates and everything to do with current leak. It's a single bath cell. It's intended to be a 7 or 8 "Cell" device, but since the electroylte is shared openly, current jumps the electrodes, and it's really a single cell device with multiple gas chambers.. The jumping electrodes heats the fluid and draws incredible power. It's a horrible design, I hate to see people build them unless they can do it for under $30.

GOY
    Then everything I have been reading on this forum is wrong? I have read more than one time that the current will travel from one neutral plate through the other to reach the other side. As far as the the single bath cell, isn't that why you insulate the the cells? Doesn't that prevent the so-called current leak or current jumping? Perhaps I am not understanding what I have read and seen posted.

justaguy Guest
    The current does flow from n to n but I think the ss nuts are to give it a stronger current flow. The smack is basically two cells just configured different than two. I made mine two seperate cells configured each cell +-+- with two electrodes on each cell going out each side of the container. I have the option of hooking up in series or parelle. I hooked it up for the first time yesterday in series and it looked impressive. I have more testing to do before I install it to set the amps and heat to desired amount.

overtaker Guest
    The smacks design with 16 wall plates is suppose to be 2 cells wired in parallel with a voltage drop equaling 3v. per gap with just a 12v. batt. The voltage will only drop between unconnected plates. I think the reason for the connected plates in their design is to help prevent the current from jumping around the plates by making it a longer distance to travel. My guess is if you do prevent the current from taking an easier path around the plates ( by wrapping them or another method ) then you could and should eliminate some of the stainless nuts to create more voltage drops to get down to 1.5 to 2 volts. Godoveryou is exactly right about the current leaks within this kind of cell. Easy proof would be to just look at a neg. lead that isn't wrapped and look at the bubbles coming off. I hope this is of help and accurate but if not someone with a lot more experience hopefully will correct me.

SamB52 Guest

Wrap those suckers!

I gotta cast my vote with godover on this one, also all the members of the Energy Builders Network, Sid Young, teracell, MagDrive. There is huge leakage current around the edges of the plates in a smacker. My first 3 cells were Smack and they would boil water before they would put out the gas of a cell with insulated edges...One is still on a big diesel pusher rv and it starts out cool at 20A, puffs along a little stronger at 30A 15 minutes later, then, after a few miles on the interstate, I go back and find half of the electrolyte gone. I think it works like the old humidifier my Mom used to put at the bedside when I had a cold.
    The engine liked it, but I think it was the effect of the steam on diesel combustion...better expansion, or something like that.
    Sorry, Smack! You're a pioneer...but so was Edison, and he wouldn't buy into AC current. Tesla ran circles around him with power transmission lines in the end, when Edison had originally been Tesla's employer and mentor.

As usual, I humbly submit these ideas, because, like everybody else, I really don't know anything, I just look for the best theory...

c02cutter Guest
    I have a question on the diesel pusher. Is it running 12v, or 24v. I ask as I have a lot of experience with voltage systems on diesels. If you take a smack design and push 24v through it, it will do what you stated. At that point you have to modify the configuration in the cell to perform like a 12v environment. Basically doubling the (N's) to get a workable voltage environment. I may be dead wrong, but know that a lot of diesels run in a higher voltage environment. The smack from the get go was design for 12v. I can test this theory and will as I never thought about it as I have been playing in 12v. I have a friend that loves this stuuf I am working on that has all the equipment involved to make it go at any voltage.

1973dodger Guest
    [QUOTE=godoveryou;10083]Two points you are missing I think.

I noticed below your signature, you claim to have one of the world"s most efficient cells. What are your claims as far as efficiency goes and what is your special about your setup? Teach me, I'm all ears.

Now, if as your monikar states "Godoveryou", is referring to God is over all of us, then I'm with you. Now if you are claiming to be "God over us", then I have a problem with you. I could not really tell which way you meant this. Please clarify.

1973dodger

1973dodger Guest
    Godoveryou,

I noticed below your signature, you claim to have one of the world"s most efficient cells. What are your claims as far as efficiency goes and what is your special about your setup? Teach me, I'm all ears.

Now, if as your monikar states "Godoveryou", is referring to God is over all of us, then I'm with you. Now if you are claiming to be "God over us", then I have a problem with you. I could not really tell which way you meant this. Please clarify.

1973dodger

EltonBrandd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SamB52 View Post
    I gotta cast my vote with godover on this one, also all the members of the Energy Builders Network, Sid Young, teracell, MagDrive. There is huge leakage current around the edges of the plates in a smacker. My first 3 cells were Smack and they would boil water before they would put out the gas of a cell with insulated edges...One is still on a big diesel pusher rv and it starts out cool at 20A, puffs along a little stronger at 30A 15 minutes later, then, after a few miles on the interstate, I go back and find half of the electrolyte gone. I think it works like the old humidifier my Mom used to put at the bedside when I had a cold.
    The engine liked it, but I think it was the effect of the steam on diesel combustion...better expansion, or something like that.
    Sorry, Smack! You're a pioneer...but so was Edison, and he wouldn't buy into AC current. Tesla ran circles around him with power transmission lines in the end, when Edison had originally been Tesla's employer and mentor.

As usual, I humbly submit these ideas, because, like everybody else, I really don't know anything, I just look for the best theory...
    You are experiencing thermal runaway. Your starting point of 20a indicates massive current leakage (wrap the plates) and/or too much koh. The plans call for starting at 15a and rising to 20a hot. My smack cell with 18 plates starts at 9a and rises to 16a and provides about 1lpm at peak current draw. If there were any other plans out there as easy and effective as this they would surely be worth trying.