Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better electrode material? - Gold, silver, titanium, etc...

Better electrode material? - Gold, silver, titanium, etc...

I'm looking toward better electrode materials. Gold is the firat one that comes to mind. Used in most high grade computer connections for it's superior conductivity.

Yeas, i know solid gold electrodes would cost an arm and a leg, but DUH, we're using electrolosis, the same thing you use to gold plate jewelry. It would be easy for us to gold plate our electrodes.

So how well do you think it would hold up to say... white vinegar and 12amps?

Since we're on the topic, what about the same with silver?
    The plating material could be obtained from pure silver CPU heat paste ($16 a tube).

...and what about other materials like titanium (though I'm not sure on how to plate that substance)

espian8 Guest

Gold, Silver, Titanium

not an expert at this stuff yet, but have contemplated your exact proposal before. Of course Solid Gold or even silver would be "mildly" expensive...so out of the question. Not sure about gold, but silver...

Silver would most likely work in pure distilled water with no caustic colution, otherwise it would most likely cause corrosion. Im pretty sure the two main elements that cause silver to discolor and corrode are Oxygen and Sulfur. Not being a problem if just sitting in water, but when the H and O's start being produced, I would suspect it might cause some problems. Not sure though, hope Im wrong.

Titanium would in theory work...actually Im planning just such an experiment in the near future. Its not too expensive and is virtually impermeable to corrosion. Im getting excited now.

Palladium and Platinum: These two rare (and expensive metals) also have very high resistance to corrosion, and would most likely work GREAT. Especially if plated to bring the cost down to a realistic level.

hoboincidaho Guest

Lightbulb

I've looked into this before. With the platinum, I've hit a brick wall. Too expensive. Platinum plating is referred to as RHODIUM plating. It should indeed work, but rhodium plating won't last forever.

To get in-depth, look to This site: http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/...ating_skvm.htm

With gold or silver, I did find research that stated they tarnish pretty quick as well.

Look into rhodium plating as it will last longer than gold or silver without having to pony up bucks for pure platinum plates.

hope this helps
    -idaho

bigapple Guest
    ive seen people use graphite plates. although the metal is somewhat soft, it seems pretty impervious to corrosion as well. u can buy big sheets off ebay for decent prices too. check it out

anyone tried uncoated carbon fiber? just an idea

graphite plates would definitely remove the hexavalent chromium problem.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

for those of you with wire systems, replace it with the graphite cores of old spark plug wires and see what happens. should be interesting.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

Quote Originally Posted by hoboincidaho View Post
    I've looked into this before. With the platinum, I've hit a brick wall. Too expensive. Platinum plating is referred to as RHODIUM plating. It should indeed work, but rhodium plating won't last forever.

To get in-depth, look to This site: http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/...ating_skvm.htm

With gold or silver, I did find research that stated they tarnish pretty quick as well.

Look into rhodium plating as it will last longer than gold or silver without having to pony up bucks for pure platinum plates.

hope this helps
    -idaho
    I don't think silver would be a good electrode because of the way colloidal silver is made. The silver electrodes are consumed in the electrolysis reaction. The silver is then suspended in the electrolite thus making colloidal silver. I would think gold would do the same. I think those so called soft metals would erode in the reaction.

well i got 1/2" 12" carbon rods, and will test when i get more time, not sure on how much they will produce, but take less amps than SS in the same electrolyte.

test will continue
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

hoboincidaho Guest
    I agree with hydrotinkerer. Stay away from the soft metals. If you wanted to try plating, Plate stainless steel with rhodium and see how long it lasts...
    I like that titanium idea espian 8 threw out. I wonder if it would work...

I noticed the mention of rhodium. I build swimming pools and the plates in the chlorine generators we use are coated with it. It does wear and it is expensive. I'm trying to get my hands on some used chlorine cells to see if it would be worth stripping the plates out of them. Here's another tidbit the plates we use tend to get a build up of calcium from the pool water so the makers have taken to reversing the polarity every four hours. This causes the calcium cake to drop off and desolve. I wonder if doing the same with our cells would keep them clean and or make them last longer?