Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better electrode material? - Gold, silver, titanium, etc... plated, not solid

c02cutter Guest
    Don't use 6AL4V, I have and the aluminum breaks done in the electrolyte. I'll post picks of it when I get home. Titanium should be pure if used. Turns into swiss cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by 1973dodger View Post
    There should be ongoing experimentation with other types of electrodes

1973dodger
    I agree, even though the benifit might be minimal, every little bit counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Painless
    I have been giving some serious thought to graphite too, it is used in fuel cells and as an electrode in steel melters.
    ooOOhh you said steel melter electrodes

What about in truck batteries? (not gel / deep cycle, just normal batteries)
    I've heard about people using batteries as HHO generators, electrodes and all. Brings on an idea

Since there is acid in batteries, and electricity too, wouldn't it be safe to @$$ume that battery electrodes/plates/connections would be perfect for our uses?

If so, what the hell are battery inards made of?

Quote Originally Posted by c02cutter View Post
    Don't use 6AL4V, I have and the aluminum breaks done in the electrolyte. I'll post picks of it when I get home. Titanium should be pure if used. Turns into swiss cheese.
    Thanks for the heads up. That just saved me a few bucks

Quote Originally Posted by 1973dodger View Post
    www.enviromentalchemistry.com to find the conductivity rating for the periodic table of elements

1973dodger
    I think you spelled the link wrong or something.
    ...but I found the exact page you were refering to. Here's the link, and thanks, that's a usefull site.

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yo...lectrical.html

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSquid View Post
    If so, what the hell are battery inards made of?
    Lead and Lead Oxide. I'm not sure this would be very safe.

countryboy18 Guest
    i dont care if it is not safe i have to find out it car batterys have any thing good inside to use. any tricks on how to get the acid out and not kill my self? thanks

scrode Guest

Wink

tip it over?

Quote Originally Posted by scrode View Post
    tip it over?
    LOL

I'm not sure how to get rid of the left over acid in a dead car battery, but just tipping it over on the ground is not the greatest idea, since eventually those chemicals will filter through to the ground water, and further down the line, into the lakes, streams, and rivers ... where we get our drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSquid View Post
    LOL

I'm not sure how to get rid of the left over acid in a dead car battery, but just tipping it over on the ground is not the greatest idea, since eventually those chemicals will filter through to the ground water, and further down the line, into the lakes, streams, and rivers ... where we get our drinking water.
    OMG! That is the funniest smiley I have ever seen! hahahahaha! Yeh battery acid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy18 View Post
    i dont care if it is not safe i have to find out it car batterys have any thing good inside to use. any tricks on how to get the acid out and not kill my self? thanks
    How about tipping the acid into a container that already contains an equal amount of a strong alkali?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO