Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about "wrapping" the cell(s)

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Does this only apply to neutral plate configurations or will it apply to -+-+-+- configs also?

thanks,
    Ian

If you read pages 14-16 of the smack.pdf it explains why you should wrap your cell. Also page 17 describes the breakdown of voltages in a cell real well, and why you should be using neutral plates.

http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/Smack.pdf
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire Haywood View Post
    Does this only apply to neutral plate configurations or will it apply to -+-+-+- configs also?

thanks,
    Ian
    it applies more to neutrals but it would still be applicable with that setup... although in brute force electrolysis (no neutrals) heat will always be a major factor so wrapping it mite not affect it very much

Haywire Haywood Guest
    thanks. I've got that pdf downloaded. I'll read through it tomorrow.

Ian

foshman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    I recently built a Smack's booster, and as shown in the files, I wrapped the cell, leaving the ends exposed. I couldn't find heat shrink of the size I needed, so I wrapped the cell in 4" electrical tape. When I tested the unit, it produced almost no gas....about 1-2 bubbles every 15-20 seconds.

I took the wrap off, and re-tested. With the crude measuring device I devised, the output was close to 1 LPM without the wrap.

My electrolyte solution was one teaspoon of potassium hydroxide to 1 gal. distilled water. In both instances the cell was pulling 17 amps cold. (wrapped and not wrapped)

Could someone possibly explain the purpose of wrapping the cell if it brings the gas production down to almost nothing, and the cell is pulling the same amps with and without the wrap?
    Hi Ed,
    I'm a newbie also but found wrapping my Smack cell "ll" served to keep the electrolyte temp down. IE. 1.25L/min at 125degrees f after more than an hour of running.I wrap the cell with cheap shrink wrap tape from Harbor freight and so far it works well.
    Good luck,
    Foshman

pistolpete Guest
    guys,

could you show pics of cells that are wrap with the shrink tube material?

thanks