Thread: Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dennis13030 Guest

Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Is it better to use pure Aluminum plates or Stainless Steel plates in a HHO electrolyzer??

h-power Guest
    If your using NaOH or KOH aluminum will last a day or two.
    Which stainless steel are you referring to?

dennis13030 Guest
    It seems that the 316 or 316L grade stainless is preferred. I would want to use only tap water or tap water with baking soda for the dielectric.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Why do you only want to use tapwater? Depending on the quality of your tapwater of course...you may end up with some brown goooey stuff, not worth the maintenance!

gasmakr Guest
    Especially when distilled water is like 72 cents a gallon at the store

Ronjinsan Guest
    Distilled water is actually damn expensive in South Africa.....I use rain water....free energy LOL

d37gps Guest

Aluminum test...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    Is it better to use pure Aluminum plates or Stainless Steel plates in a HHO electrolyzer??
    You got me curious, so I gave it a try!! I used 1/4" plates, 2 of them, +-,3"x6", spaced 1/16th apart, and 1/4" apart. Not a whole lot with just water, but when KOH was added, it took off!!! The plates are generating with no voltage applied. This is not pratical, but it was fun to see what would happen. I don't think the Alum. would last more than a day, max.I'd like to try some zinc bars, and then some monell.Try it , it 's a kick !!!

Gerald..