Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

dennis13030 Guest

Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Is it better to use pure Aluminum plates or Stainless Steel plates in a HHO electrolyzer??

h-power Guest
    If your using NaOH or KOH aluminum will last a day or two.
    Which stainless steel are you referring to?

dennis13030 Guest
    It seems that the 316 or 316L grade stainless is preferred. I would want to use only tap water or tap water with baking soda for the dielectric.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Why do you only want to use tapwater? Depending on the quality of your tapwater of course...you may end up with some brown goooey stuff, not worth the maintenance!

gasmakr Guest
    Especially when distilled water is like 72 cents a gallon at the store

Ronjinsan Guest
    Distilled water is actually damn expensive in South Africa.....I use rain water....free energy LOL

dennis13030 Guest
    I want to use aluminum instead of stainless steel because of cost and ease of fabrication. The only issue I can see is the selection of dielectric. Tap water is the most convenient, however if adding a small amount of other material helps, thats great. As long as it does not adversely affect the electrolyzer.

Ronjinsan Guest

Issues

None of your issues effect the real world reality of making a good reliable cell. Cost, Ease of fabrication, convenience are all parameters which you have created I could sit here all day and predicate to you about how many other people have gone your route and failed, but it appears you are set in your ways. I wish you the best of luck and am eager to learn from you if indeed you find any advantages whatsoever in your method. I promise I will eb the first on bended knee with hat in hand!

dennis13030 Guest
    I may end up using SS. I don't know yet. Pure aluminum does not rust but it does oxidize a bit. SS contains a bit of iron and it rusts. SS does not seem to oxidize as much though. What do you think is the best plate material and why?

aluminum

There is alot of information about aluminum in this thread. http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread....light=aluminum
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG