Thread: Need info on spacing between plates

ShowMeH2O Guest

Need info on spacing between plates

I have been studying the differant plate assemblys and have noticed the plate spacing vary on cells. Some have the same spacing all the way across and have seen some where they had so many plates spaced the same and others farther apart .
    If someone can explain what effect on amperage draw or heat the diferant spacing has as it would be helpful. The hydrogen generator I purchased a few weeks back by the picture seems farther than most I have seen but it seems to produce fairly good .It was sealed when I purchased it so I haven't been able to measure it but curiosity is getting the best of me .Maybe it is the pic but looks like more gap than most .....
    My system has 7 plates instead of 6 in pic ...

Higher spacing between the producing plates helps to keep heat and amp draw down, but at the expense of production. Having big gaps between each pair of plates also helps with lowering heat and dissuading the current from jumping through the electrolyte.

In my own personal experiments I have found that the big spacing is a good thing for heat and amps, but makes it very hard to produce over 1.5 LPM of gas.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

kiki Guest
    my experience is 1 to 1.5 mm spacing is the ok.

about the number of plates, ideal is to have 2-2.4 volts per space, increasing voltage per space will result in creation of heat, nu hho production.

so when using 6 plates (+nnnn-) means you have 5 spaces.
    5x2.2 volts = 11 volts. when your alternator delivers 13.5 volts, this means 2.5 volts x say 10 amps = 25 watts is only used creating heat.

that's why (in my opinion) a 7 plates cell (+nnnnn-) would be the best.

ShowMeHHO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki View Post
    my experience is 1 to 1.5 mm spacing is the ok.

about the number of plates, ideal is to have 2-2.4 volts per space, increasing voltage per space will result in creation of heat, nu hho production.

so when using 6 plates (+nnnn-) means you have 5 spaces.
    5x2.2 volts = 11 volts. when your alternator delivers 13.5 volts, this means 2.5 volts x say 10 amps = 25 watts is only used creating heat.

that's why (in my opinion) a 7 plates cell (+nnnnn-) would be the best.
    I am not sure of thickness of 1 to 1.5 mm . A 5/16 nylon washer is .060 how many of them to reach the thickness you recommend.

DigitalMocking Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeHHO View Post
    I am not sure of thickness of 1 to 1.5 mm . A 5/16 nylon washer is .060 how many of them to reach the thickness you recommend.
    1 millimeter = 0.0393700787 inches

.060 is juuuust a smidge over 1.5mm.

I am thinking of using 0.79 MM or 1/32 " electrical grade PTFE washers to space my plates since they are perfect laser cut plates. Theoretically, this should allow me to use less NaOH per gallon of distilled water and still maintain the same amps so long as the cell is wrapped properly.