Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum!!!!!

wingnut Guest
    I Am Not Using Drano!only H2o! And Then One Table Spoon Of Baking Soda! It Works Better Than Anything Else I Have Tried!!! What Is The Problem????

ranger2.3 Guest
    NaOH is Sodium hydroxide but I don't know if it is table salt or anything like that

ranger2.3 Guest
    I just read that soduim hydroxide is Lye

wingnut Guest
    You are quite right there Ranger! It is SALT! Also the most common element on the planet, ( happens to take up around 2/3 of it ) I HAVE HEARD OF DANGERS OF USING "SALT"! DOES ANYONE HAVE A CONFLICT IN USING BAKING SODA AND ALUMINUM WITH A SENSIBLE ARGUMENT AS TO WHY NOT?

wingnut Guest
    My Bad, I Am Thinking Of Sodium Chloride!?

wingnut Guest
    Any one? ANYONE? ANYONE, ANYONE, ANYONE????????????????

ranger2.3 Guest
    I don't think baking soda/sodium bicarbonate should be harmful because I use it along with toothpaste to brush my teeth and toothpaste is made up of alot of chemicals!

wingnut Guest
    Thank's man! I just do not understand how all of these people that have done this can not just give me a straight answer as to "why" they will not use aluminum!? It just makes sense to me! Most mass produced combustion engines now have at least an aluminum head along with "many" other parts. So far as I know it is the least expensive, least corrosive, less carbon, most pliable, most conductive (for the price), and most commonly used flat metal in the free world. I just do not "GET IT"? TELL ME THIS IS NOT A NEW IDEA?! Signing out for now, fed up, tired, talk more later. Oh, it's "still cooking" just fine with a head on an open mason jar that Bud would be proud of.

Omega Guest
    I guess that everyone is waiting to see how your experiment progresses. Aluminum would be a lot easier to cut and drill than stainless steel. I've thought about it, but corrosion is my main concern.

I have seen boat hulls made out of aluminum that are used in salt water. I went to a boat website that says their boats are just fine in salt water; they use 5052-H36 aluminum alloy. Sounds exotic and is probably expensive.

Keep us updated, ok?

aluminum

Sodium hydroxide and aluminum will chemically react with each other pretty violently. Aluminum is a soft metal and yes it is semi resisant corrosion, but the corrosion inside an electolosis unit is much stronger. The chemicals and electricity will eat away at the aluminum much faster than it would stainless steel. Stainless is overall more resistant to corrosion vs aluminum. If you really want to understand aluminum and stainless read this page. http://www.answers.com/topic/stainle...cat=technology

No one is saying not to use aluminum, we are saying dont use it with Sodium Hydroxide, Salt or Potassium hydroxide. Salt will cause pitting on aluminum, NaOH and KOH will chemically react with aluminum in which the aluminum will be rapidly destroyed.

Under room temperature sodium bicarbonate will cause negligble damage to aluminum, but when you add heat it becomes more destructive. No idea how long the plates will last though. It could be a year could be a month.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG