Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum!!!!!

Dean88 Guest
    Well Wingnut, I think you need to experiment with aluminum and report back because I am interested in it as well. I am in a similiar situation as you because I can't find any SS anywhere, but Tractor supply (which is where I work so I get a 15% discount) offers a couple of sizes of sheets of aluminum at a pretty good price.

I also would like to know if copper has been tried before.

Ronjinsan Guest

Aluminium

If you insist on using aluminium for some reason then why dont you put it together and run with it for a while then come back and shout your results to everyone? I only have one small tip. Remember to sand it before use because a lot of it is anodised to improve the oxide layer or coated for protection in some way or other. It has a lower density than other metals and is fairly porous, expect quick wear! Dont you want a cell which you can install and forget? I will be eagerly waiting for your results, as I am sure we all will... Best of luck wingnut....stay cool!

Dean88 Guest
    There are several advantages that alumunium has over SS

1. Cheaper
    2. Higher availability
    3. Eaiser to work with, cut, shape, etc..

Ronjinsan Guest
    Pleeeeez Dean...the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages not least the wear factor and maintenance needed.......how hard is it to order some cut SS plates and sleep better!

Dean88 Guest
    How fast do they wear actually?

I am thinking of experimenting at first with aluminum because I plan to build and rebuild quite a few cells to try to figure out works best for me and I don't have the money for SS, and if the aluminum will last a few weeks then it will last long enought for me.

What kind ofSS are ya'll using, cuz my Dad brought me some 1/8'' SS scrap from his plant and it is so hard that I can't drill through it without heating it to almost white hot.

spob Guest
    Slow down your drill speed and use a cutting fluid/lubricant to help save your drill bits.

Dean88 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spob View Post
    Slow down your drill speed and use a cutting fluid/lubricant to help save your drill bits.
    I am using a drill press and I have the belts routed to its slowest speed of 360 rpms and it has an automatic oiler so the bit always stays lubed. This is just some wierd SS. Luckily it is still weak to a plasma cutter.

spob Guest
    Aluminum only produces hydrogen gas, not hydrogen and oxygen.

The aluminum actually becomes part of the chemical reaction, forming Aluminum oxide and degrading in the process.

The plus side, pure hydrogen output. The minus, the plates will be eaten up and leave behind a gunky residue.

If you would like to perform an experiment without the use of electricity, then get some liquid metal (containing gallium) and wet a stip of aluminum with it. Just place the aluminum into a jar of water and watch as the reaction takes place. The galluim keeps the aluminum from forming the protective oxide layer and allows the aluminum to react with the water until all the aluminum is gone.

http://hydrogen.ecn.purdue.edu/2007.05.01-Woodall.pdf

dennis13030 Guest

I Like The Idea Of Using Aluminum

The only down side that I can see with it is

1. You have to be careful choosing the electrolite(mix),
    2. It does not have the tinsile strength of SS, its softer.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Just for all of those that were interested about the question, not too long ago about ALUMINUM!? I said I had something in the works for a model and would get back to you. As most people know, it has a "very" good conductive value, low corrosive properties, high availabillity (any hardware store), and easy to work with. I now have a 12 plate generator that is working on a 5 watt solar panel (that I test "any" design on, not to waste battery power). However, it has been producing gas for the last hour and and half at a rate at least double of ANY other material I have used in the pst. The best part is, it has NO CORROSION, NO POND SCUM, AND HAS NOW FROTHED OVER THE BRIM ONCE I ADDED ONE TABLE SPOON OF BAKING SODA!!! SOMEONE TELL ME QUICK WHY I DO NOT NEED TO CONNECT THE BUBBLER AND TRY THIS ON MY SVT???????
    I am very interested in your results. They sound great. I would like to know four(4) things about your system. 1) What temperature does it settle to? 2) The change(decline) in flow rate over time? 3) the inital thickness of the Aluminum plates? 4) How long the Aluminum plates last?