Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine use of Hydroxy calculation

florida horseman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    Florida....we are talking in the range of 1-2 liters per minute for most of the guys on this board... I think that evenly mixing the HHO into the airstream is more advantageous than having it sucked out of the generator.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Jax. I finally tore a page out of my memory and built a gas output measuring device similar to one I saw used in a science class during the Eisenhower administration. My paltry HHO output from (2) 1 qt jars, twisted wire w/baking soda (2 1/2 tsp ea.) averages 150 mlPM each. No digital DC ammeter yet but estimating about 4 amps each and a 10 amp fuse is holding. No heat in the feed wire but the jars seem to be on the cusp of thermal runaway. A 6 cell system like this would still leave me short of 1 LPM for a V8.

I agree there needs to be a better way to evenly introduce HHO into the engine and I am beginning to tilt toward a single hook up in the PCV line at the base of the throttle body. It seems to offer the best distribution point for all cylinders at the point of highest average velocity between the air filter and the intake manifold. Running a line to the breather needs to have a volume restricting check valve to prevent the manifold Hg feed from trying to equalize through it at idle and transitions. And there's also those pesky air circulation patterns around the air filter. Plus the HHO is in a prime location for "possible" atmospheric ignitiion from backfire in the air filter housing. But I suppose it's all moot for me at less than 1 LPM output. I guess it's time for me to look for a little four banger to experiment on rather than keep throwing $$$ at my big V8.

I still like the vacuum assisted delivery for a couple of reasons though. With vacuum Hg across the system the individual cell bubblers scrub HHO off the electrodes. And the accumulator bubbler roughs up the gas enough to settle out a good deal of scruff from the electrolyte.

BTW- The Motor Week TV show on PBS had a segment today that scoffed at HHO and other fuel assist experimentations. Somebody that's already achieved good MPG improvements with these systems needs to take those yahoos for a ride to the local roadkill cafe for a serving of crow. ~FH

Cadillac Guest
    The 2.8 lbs of air a minute can be taken a step further. In one hour 2.8 lbs would become 168 lbs/hr.

2.8 lbs X 60 min = 168 lbs/hr

You could then take the assumed ratio 14.7:1 and divide the air over an hour to guess at fuel consumption. So:

168 lbs / 14.7 = 11.4 lbs/hr

11.4 lbs/hr of course is how much gas is used in an hour. Rough estimates of a gallon of gas are any where between 5.8-6.5 lbs as earlier said.

11.4 lbs / 5.8 lbs = 1.9 gallons
    or
    11.4 lbs / 6.5 lbs = 1.7 gallons

This car at exactly 55 (or as best as my foot can manage) gets 30 MPG. That would fall right into the middle with 1.8 gallons used in an hour. I would say that using the outside ambient air temperature is some what off.

I guess these equations are hard to get right as temperature and VE of the engine would be forever changing. Hard to figure out the VE.