Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do I Separate Hydrogen from Oxygen?

countryboy18 Guest
    can you just have the gas through a contanier of the chemical that takes away O2. the have the packets in beef jerky bags. if you get alot of the chemical it might that out all of the O2 that is being produced. also there is another chemical that was used is submarines that takes out CO2. there is also another one that navy seals used in there rebreathing dive suits. so they produce no bubbles. just throwing it out there.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Re-breathers have two functioning parts. The first part is a chemical filter that absorbs the C02. The second part is a small oxygen tank that is regulated to add just a little bit of Oxygen back to the recirculating air so as to maintain a certain oxygen level for breathing.

The problem with re-breathers is that the CO2 filter has a certain lifespan. The Oxygen tank also has a lifespan. After that you are not going to last very long without surfacing for air.

countryboy18 Guest
    but does the idea of using a filter have any posibality of working.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    The problem with a filter is that the chemical filter will wear out quickly. Once all the material in the filter oxidizes it quits working. The cost of replacing filters and throwing them in the landfill or re-conditioning them would cost more than buying gasoline.

We need something like a catalytic converter or a true fuel cell. Possibly we could introduce something into the HHO stream that would combine with the Oxygen to form a harmless chemical.

Let's try Hydrogen. There's plenty of Hydrogen! Hydrogen when mixed with Oxygen at high temperatures produces a relatively harmless chemical called Di hydrogen Monoxide.

The problem with this perfect filtration of Oxygen is that it uses up all the hydrogen too. Maybe it's not a problem after all. Energy is released during the H2 + O = water reaction that can be converted into electricity. We can't of course use electricity to improve the efficiency of our internal combustion engines but we could use it to REPLACE them.

Please pardon the ramblings.

I've had some success with HHO so far but I'm not the kind of person who puts band-aids on problems. I like to find permanent solutions. If the Gasoline engine has an efficiency limit that we can not overcome, then I say that Gasoline is the problem.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by volomike View Post
    Now that many of us are producing ignitable HHO, I thought it might be worth our while to figure out how to separate the Hydrogen from the Oxygen, and then feed in just a dim amount of Oxygen back into the mix. This produces HHO again, but a far more powerful HHO. Comprende?

Anyone got an idea on how to do this efficiently, cheaply, and as safe as possible? Sure, nothing is ever safe, but as safe as we can be here.

For instance, and I'm going out on a limb here with probably the wrong assumption, but if you use a reverse osmosis filter membrane in the top of a box, and you shoot HHO into it at the bottom, I'm guessing here that perhaps the hydrogen will force its way through the filter into the top of the box, while the oxygen would be held back somewhat. And why? Well, hydrogen wants to shoot upwards, but oxygen is heavier. Sure, some oxygen might bleed through the membrane, but hydrogen will force its way through much harder. So, this might, and again I'm going out on a limb here, produce a richer HHO above the Dupont reverse osmosis membrane, often called an RO membrane. If this is true, then perhaps this is viable because these membranes are not that expensive.

[EDIT: After doing some research, I found I'm not too far off my rocker here with RO membranes. RO membranes fall under the category of "polymeric membranes" and this European Union paper, published by researchers in the Netherlands, reflects on how effective they are. In the end, they said that polymeric membranes will work, but they suffer from swelling (and bursting) under extreme pressure, and that the hydrogen separation worked but was somewhat weak. The paper said that ceramic membranes were the best filters of hydrogen out of HHO gas.]
    See the image below. Its cheap like HHO. This shows the basic idea. However, if you only use the Oxygen part, you need to safely dispose of the Hydrogen part.

Quote Originally Posted by volomike View Post
    I thought it might be worth our while to figure out how to separate the Hydrogen from the Oxygen
    Here's a hypothetical idea:

We know that the hydrogen is attracted to the negative electrode and the oxygen to the positive. Therefore, after the traditional HHO generation process, perhaps we can use this in some way out of the electrolyte bath to guide the H2 and O2 to separate venting tubes? What would happen if a positive terminal were placed in one vent exit and a negative in another? Would the attraction work outside of electrolyte or does it need to occur within a conductive medium? Perhaps a modified bubbler could be used to achieve this?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Someone was talking on another forum, He said his company serviced/operated very large boilers. They dispersed o2 out of boiler systems to prevent rust. Sodium sulfate was added to the water to absorb o2. I don't know the particulars but might have merit. Someone with chemical background might know.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    Someone was talking on another forum, He said his company serviced/operated very large boilers. They dispersed o2 out of boiler systems to prevent rust. Sodium sulfate was added to the water to absorb o2. I don't know the particulars but might have merit. Someone with chemical background might know.
    That was me on Ionizationx. See link:

http://http://www.ionizationx.com/in...pic,569.0.html

That experiment is delayed because the O2 cell in the gas analyzer is bad. I ordered a new one and they said 7-10 day delivery so it should be here next week. I will share my results as soon as I can

Haywire Haywood Guest
    veddy interesting...

countryboy18 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    See the image below. Its cheap like HHO. This shows the basic idea. However, if you only use the Oxygen part, you need to safely dispose of the Hydrogen part.
    if you use this cell you have to have alot of electrolyte so that the current can pass from + to the -. i had one in chenistry class it took forever to have alot of H and O. it had a very weak solution.