Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAF or EFIE? I'm not sure

mtech Guest

MAF or EFIE? I'm not sure

Hello all.

I'm taking the plunge into the HHO world and I'm at a crossroads with my system. I haven't installed it yet because I'm still in the middle of collecting all my parts.

My biggest set back has been trying to decide if I need a MAF controller or an EFIE? I have a 2008 Chevy Colorado with the Vortec 3.7L I-5 Engine and I'm not sure how to tell which would work best for me.

I also am at a loss trying to figure out how do you know when you have leaned your motor to the farthest you can go before damage occurs? The last thing I want to do is burn up my valves with only 6000 miles on it,lol.

Thank you for all your help with teaching me the ropes.

Steve

Haywire Haywood Guest
    I'm pretty sure a MAF controller IS an EFIE (electronic fuel injection enhancer). The other electrical doodad is a MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor enhancer. That is the simple one that is just basically a switch to turn it on and off and a rheostat to vary the line voltage. The EIFE is a lot more involved based on the schematics I've looked at.

Go to autozone.com and try to look up your truck in their parts search and see if they list a MAF or MAP sensor.

The best way to tell if you have leaned your engine out enough is to get an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge, do a baseline run without any modifications at all and then when you install your modifications, lean it out just enough to maintain the stock exhaust gas temp without exceeding it. In this instance, heat kills and the temp of the exhaust coming out of your cylinders is the telling tale. You can also use it to adjust your mix according to driving conditions. If you're on a steep grade and the temp starts to rise, richen it up a tad. If you get off the hillside and are on flat level terrain and the EGT falls off, lean it out a bit.

Ian

mtech Guest
    Ian,

Thank you for that interesting read. I probably should have inserted
    O2 enhancer in place of EFIE. Which works best? o2 enhancer or a MAF?

This part of the whole process is what is so confusing to me,lol.

Thank you again.

Steve

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Ya got me.. I'm new to this whole thing too. I'm just getting the generator itself worked out. When it comes time for me to pull the wool over my truck's computer, I'll have the same question. I do know that my truck has a MAF rather than a MAP and I'm fairly certain that I have 2 upstream O2 sensors and that if needed, instead of buying those $15 each O2 sensor extenders, I will buy a pair of spark plug anti fouling spacers for $4 at Advance Auto. Hopefully someone more knowledgible on the vehicle portion of it will come along.

Ian

mtech Guest
    autozone came up blank for my truck but I'll keep searching.

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Looks like yours has a MAF sensor.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...Number=7450054

mtech Guest
    Thanks... I knew I could count on partsamerica!!!! lol.

Now knowing that I have a MAF sensor, which would be the best choice to install? and what is the benefit to a dual controller over a single one?

Thank you for pointing me towards partsamerica!!

Steve

Haywire Haywood Guest
    It appears to me (and this is highly questionable considering my experience on this subject) that you and I both need the complicated one.. the EFIE. I just read something about single vs dual and I think they said there was only once circumstance that you needed a dual and I can't remember what that was off hand. I've scanned so many documents and web sites in the last week that it is all blurring together.

Ian

mtech Guest
    Ian,

I have to agree.... way to much reading,lol.

I'm leaning towards dual meaning city/hwyway I think.

I also wonder if using one of the two EFIE's (O2 or MAF) is just fine. I haven't come up with that answer yet. I read so many posts where people are using these systems but what parts are they actually using??

Back to reading......

Steve

OK, the EFIE is the o2sensor enhancer.
    MAF/MAP adjuster only adjust those.
    Efie is the way to go. If using Maf/Map on an OBDII the vehicle will learn the changed values and change them back, Negating your adjustments. Using the Efie the ECM/PCM doesn't catch on, As long as you don't over adjust it. Most of the time 300mv max. 100-150mv start