Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1996 F250 Powerstroke Diesel

As far as I know you don't need an efie on diesels. Mine doesn't but it's a cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    As far as I know you don't need an efie on diesels. Mine doesn't but it's a cummins.
    What model is your cummins and what kind of improvement on mileage do you get?
    My concern is hho in the intake while the grid heater is working. Is this not a problem of explosion when the grid heater come on? I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins and toying with the idea of putting a generator on it.

98 12 valve turbo diesel
    my cell puts out .7 lpm at 13amp
    19mpg base went to 23mpg with cell on

My cell is on a master switch, so for winter when I need the heater I'll just leave switch off till heaters turns off. Then I will turn cell on.

Westcoastrocks Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    I know you don't need something that screws with the O2 sensor. But I am talking about a Efie that replaces diesel for HHO the same way it does gas for HHO. Basically leaning out the diesel. To me It doesn't sound like its smart to do with a diesel but prove me wrong.....

hydropower KY Guest
    Diesels don't have o2 sensors so you won't be able to use the efie.Diesels also require a lubricant,something the hho does not have.You would still have to use the diesel fuel.

Westcoastrocks Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hydropower KY View Post
    Diesels don't have o2 sensors so you won't be able to use the efie.Diesels also require a lubricant,something the hho does not have.You would still have to use the diesel fuel.
    *Facepalm* yes I know diesels don't have O2 sensors. Never mind lol

stroker Guest
    If I can make this my first post, I hope it will be a post that will inform members here about diesels.

Diesels are my life. I have been involved in the diesel community for over 10 years.

hydropower KY
    The lubrication diesels require is from the fuel to lubricate the fuel system. It will lube the lift pump, fuel pump, injection pump, and the injectors.

To the OP....
    I am building an HHO system for my truck that is a 1996 Powerstroke like yours. but there is an issue that I need to work around and there is only 1 way to do it. My truck is a late 96 model and that was the first of the California models. The only real difference in this truck I have are the AB code split shot injectors. These injectors have a small pilot injection to promote a more complete combustion before the main injection.

The way I see it, this small pilot injection will consume the HHO or most of it before the main injection. Will this negate the results of using HHO? I am not sure. But I do have plans on removing my injectors and installing hybrid single shots in the near future.

On edit---
    I forgot to tell you just remove the air filter gauge and install the hose from the HHO there. You dont need that gauge on the airbox.

I've heard it both ways, That 1lpm or above they got results or they didn't. I would build, buy a cell that puts out that much or more and try it. Mine doesn't have the pilot injection.

DieselBurps Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcoastrocks View Post
    I know you don't need something that screws with the O2 sensor. But I am talking about a Efie that replaces diesel for HHO the same way it does gas for HHO. Basically leaning out the diesel. To me It doesn't sound like its smart to do with a diesel but prove me wrong.....
    To out a diesel, you just back off the go pedal. There is no throttle plate on most diesels - they are allowed to suck in all of the air they can. Engine speed and power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected. I would guess that a good HHO setup on a mechanical diesel will result in a slightly higher idle.

Glow plugs and intake heater grids may not mix well with HHO - it seems like it might be a good idea to leave the HHO off until after the vehicle is warmed up. Given that you do, it seems that HHO would be ideal for use with a diesel - it would be a much simpler setup on a much more efficient engine.

Clipper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stroker View Post
    These injectors have a small pilot injection to promote a more complete combustion before the main injection.

The way I see it, this small pilot injection will consume the HHO or most of it before the main injection. Will this negate the results of using HHO? I am not sure. But I do have plans on removing my injectors and installing hybrid single shots in the near future.
    Hey, Stroker,

Unfortunately, it is worse than that.

Diesels ignite the fuel by compression. Ignition starts at about 12:1.
    (some boat diesels, Universals for example, actually are designed at 14:1.)

The Powerstrokes and Dodge Cummins run about 18:1, and that's without turbocharging. My Chevy runs 21.5:1.

Since the hydrogen IS a fuel, it is actually igniting sometime during the compression stroke, while the piston is still on its' way up. This is actually preignition. And since the hydrogen burns so fast, my guess is that by the time the main fuel injection event occurs, the hydrogen is all burned already...you ARE, at least, injecting the fuel into a much hotter atmosphere than just pure compression. But you are NOT burning the hydrogen at the same time as the main fuel charge.

My guess is that this is why diesels do not seem to get as much improvement as gassers. Subjectively, it seems like the diesel pickup trucks that I've read about seem to get maybe 3-4 mpg gain (max) on a baseline of 16-18 mpg or so, a gain of about 20-30%. Gassers seem to be able to consistently achieve 40% to as much as 100% increase.

I have absolutely positively NO evidence of ANY of this...it is pure conjecture, based on my engineering knowledge, and general (and subjective) observations.