Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is the best plate configuration

Quote Originally Posted by HHONissan View Post
    I am currently using a 9 plate dry cell. I have tried two different configurations.

#1) +nnn-nnn+
    #2) -nnn+nnn-

To my suprise the the #2 configuration was visually pruducing quite a bit more hho. I dont have a flowmeter built yet to verify my findings. I am using baking soda (1/8 cup per liter) and tap water and a battery charger set at 12v. Water only gets warm to the touch on either configuration.

Has anyone else tried this configuration? same results?

Both cells variables being constant you would notice the center electrode on #2 producing the larger oxygen bubbles. I have played with a cell like those before and the lpm was the same, with the electrolite, power supply, etc being constant. My new cell I just assembled today is
    +nnnnn--nnnnn+. We will see how it goes.

HHONissan Guest

Built my flow meter today. Getting 1.25 lpm, happy with that. I am using same electrolite, plate configuration, and battery charger as power. Also barrowed my brothers multimeter to check amp draw. However, the cell was recieving 10.5v and the amp draw was over the 20a max of the meter. I checked each n plate until meter maxed out, if each plate has an increasingly constant draw it comes out to 32a.

Tried both (+nnn-nnn+) and (-nnn+nnn-) both gave same hho output.

DaveyJones Guest

Plate configuration

I think that +-+-+-+- is the most efficient. It will draw more current though so a pwm would be needed

Bossman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    Both cells variables being constant you would notice the center electrode on #2 producing the larger oxygen bubbles. I have played with a cell like those before and the lpm was the same, with the electrolite, power supply, etc being constant. My new cell I just assembled today is
    +nnnnn--nnnnn+. We will see how it goes.

This is the exact set up I ended up running. Has temp issues. Tried wrapping with that self sticking electrical tape & after several hours all the edges on the wrap was cut. Nice clean cuts. So the ole light went off. I went to wally world & bought a bycycle tube.Cut it in 1/2 & was nice & square. Then sliced it open long ways & wrapped the cell with that & the temp stabilized. Great production & temps haven't reached 130*. Best I have sen is 128*. Now I need to check amp draw & LPM.

Use the configuration with more - plates and quit using tap water. The tap water will corrode your plates. Use rain water or distilled water and KOH. You will increase your effeciency by 40% over baking soda and reduce the brown sludge.

what about using U shaped neutrals like smith did. requires a larger enclosure, but he doesn't have heat issues.

+UUUUU-

could also just metal spacers between every other N.

+HHHHH-

or double

-UUUUU+UUUUU-
    -HHHHH+HHHHH-

anyone know what the minimum large spacing is between neutrals?
    I know the small spacing is around 2mm. smith is using 1" on the large space, but would 1/2" work just as well?

JonDoh Guest
    ^^^ Yea... I tried that.... those U shapes are harder to work with plus takes up tooooo much space. The bolts in between is the SMACK design which I did & it was ok.

So far I've tried these configs:
    1) +-
    2) +n-
    3) +nn-
    4) +nnn-
    5) +nnnn-
    6) +nnnnn-
    7) +nnnnnn-
    8) +-+-+-+-
    These nxt configs I also switched polarities
    9) +n-n+n-n+ switch -n+n-n+n-
    10) +nn-nn+
    12) +nn--nn+
    13) +nnnn--nnnn+
    14) +nnnnn-nnnnn+
    15) +nnnnn--nnnnn+
    16) +nn- -nn+ +nn- -nn+

I use the same electrolyte & 13.5v power supply....

So far the best has been #12

I just built #16 last nite & we'll see how that works out today.
    Oh... there's a 1/4" spacers in between the cells that why theres a space between.

are you staggering the n spacing or no?

JonDoh Guest
    ^^^^ Staggering?????

I use same size plates with 0.064 washers in between the plates.

it would be great to get lpm, amp,V, and heat for each of those configs.
    also include KOH concentration.

by staggering, I meant the span of the empty space in a U or H n plate.