Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best plate configuration

Has anyone experimented with a 21 plate cell configured
    -NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-
    This would be connected to a car What kind of output should I expect?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

See post # 64.

Quote Originally Posted by jericoriver View Post
    See post # 64.
    Thanx after reading so many posts I missed the one I was looking for.
    So my plan would give me 2.7v per stack for total of 10.8v

So I should add 1 more neutral to each stack & create a 5th stack?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

Plate area and spacing

My experiment is with a SS case 12 inches square. 16 plates 8 x 10 x .040 inches. Each plate is 80 sq inches, spacing is .120 inches Total area is 1280 sq inches plus the inside of the case.
    My first test, which will be tomorrow.
    12 plates +nnnnnnnnnnn inch space -nnnn with case as the negative grounded to the car.
    Electrolyte Potassium Hydroxide.
    The reason for the SS case, is Australian Design Rules will demand this in the future. So I'm stating with a SS case
    As a flow meter I am going to try, a 1 litre bottle with the bottom cut off. The HHO outlet tube going into the top, place in a bucket of water. Then time it as the HHO pushes the water out of the bottle. Anyone tried this ??
    Comment,suggestions, advice all welcome.

Plate area and spacing

My experiment is with a SS case 12 inches square. 16 plates 8 x 10 x .040 inches. Each plate is 80 sq inches, spacing is .120 inches Total area is 1280 sq inches plus the inside of the case.
    My first test, which will be tomorrow.
    12 plates +nnnnnnnnnnn inch space -nnnn with case as the negative grounded to the car.
    Electrolyte Potassium Hydroxide.
    The reason for the SS case, is Australian Design Rules will demand this in the future. So I'm stating with a SS case

Newbie here...seeing if i understand it all

I would first like to say hi to everyone (this is my first posting). So I would first like to say that i have a dry cell running 11 plates. So if i understand right a cell set up -nnnn+nnnn- will create the same output as a cell set up like +nnnn-nnnn+? Am i right in assuming that? Also am i right in assuming that i need to get an average of around 2v per plate. Would either set up listed above have a voltage closer to 2v per plate? (I am under the impression that the alternator makes 13.5v and you take that value and divide it by the number of spaces between the plates...so does my math work out>>> 13.5v/5plate spacings to get 2.7v per plate.) so if that math is right should i look into getting 2 more neutral plates or should i just reconfigure the cell. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcompacts View Post
    I would first like to say hi to everyone (this is my first posting). So I would first like to say that i have a dry cell running 11 plates. So if i understand right a cell set up -nnnn+nnnn- will create the same output as a cell set up like +nnnn-nnnn+? Am i right in assuming that? Also am i right in assuming that i need to get an average of around 2v per plate. Would either set up listed above have a voltage closer to 2v per plate? (I am under the impression that the alternator makes 13.5v and you take that value and divide it by the number of spaces between the plates...so does my math work out>>> 13.5v/5plate spacings to get 2.7v per plate.) so if that math is right should i look into getting 2 more neutral plates or should i just reconfigure the cell. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
    Ok to start where the + and _ are does not matter, either one will pruduce the same amount, It is classified as 2 cells though. +nnnn-nnnn+ =2 cells - +nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- = 3 cells.

and for each cell - i test the voltage on the plates from one side to another.
    I use 13 plates in a 2 cell = 13.5/7 = 1.9 V per plate.

What electrolyte do you use?
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

As far as electrolyte is concerned i use KOH although i have heard that sodium hydroxide work well too.

What electrolyte

I have been using mostly caustic soda, tried baking soda not quite as good.
    I alway get mixed up with the cemical names.
    I am about to run another test tomorrow. A few days ago drawing, 103 amps at 11 volts ( alternator could not cope ) managed 10 LPM for a few mins. Turned it off be alternator got damaged.
    Anybody know the chemical names. Potasum Hydroxide I think is castic soda.
    Llew

Quote Originally Posted by Llew2_1 View Post
    I have been using mostly caustic soda, tried baking soda not quite as good.
    I alway get mixed up with the cemical names.
    I am about to run another test tomorrow. A few days ago drawing, 103 amps at 11 volts ( alternator could not cope ) managed 10 LPM for a few mins. Turned it off be alternator got damaged.
    Anybody know the chemical names. Potasum Hydroxide I think is castic soda.
    Llew
    Sodium hydroxide (Caustic soda) and potassium hydroxide (Caustic potash)(KOH)

I use potassium hydroxide its a little more expensive but works best.

and never touch either above with bare skin!!!
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.