Thread: types of SS and other ??

Fidell Guest

types of SS and other ??

What would be the best type of ss"
    I have 301,304,316,17-7,15-5.
    would 2 differant metals work better than 1?
    like 301 as anode and 304 as cathode? Just want to get feedback
    before I experiment.
    also which is cathode and anode? positive,negative I mean.

my hho generator now has 2 pcs of 301 ss screen. 1/4" x .050" thick.
    0.5 inches apart.

I also have carbide waterjet nozzles I would like to try. conneting them will be difficult. they are 3" long by .25 OD, with .040 ID.

i work with alot of metals so I want to experiment with them.

this is the most funnest hobby for me thus far. I want to eventually build a home heating system that runs on hho.

Fidell Guest
    I will try some .030" inconell also.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidell View Post
    What would be the best type of ss"
    I have 301,304,316,17-7,15-5.
    would 2 differant metals work better than 1?
    like 301 as anode and 304 as cathode? Just want to get feedback
    before I experiment.
    also which is cathode and anode? positive,negative I mean.

my hho generator now has 2 pcs of 301 ss screen. 1/4" x .050" thick.
    0.5 inches apart.

I also have carbide waterjet nozzles I would like to try. conneting them will be difficult. they are 3" long by .25 OD, with .040 ID.

i work with alot of metals so I want to experiment with them.

this is the most funnest hobby for me thus far. I want to eventually build a home heating system that runs on hho.

ss

Fidell,

316 seems to get the vote for best ss.

I use it and it works well.

Basically it will depend on the characteristics you desire most. For chemical resistance, you want an alloy that contains higher percentages of Nickel and/or chromium. Both of these elements impart corrosion resistance. Nickel in particular is very resistant to erosion from chemicals. Lower carbon content will also aid in corrosion resistance.

Most of the elements that aid in electrical conductivity such as copper, will not tolerate the environment we use in HHO applications. With steel in general, its always a give/take situation. You always give up a little something in one area, to gain something in another.

Looking over various specs on steels, I would have to say that for HHO applications, 316 Stainless is the best suited of the common alloys.
    Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
    www.caffreyknives.net

Fidell Guest
    while digging around the shop today, I came across a few plates of
    ss, that was made to be some sort of filter. it is very porous and I can blow
    high pressure through it. cant see through it. reminds me of lava stone, but super fine. Probably left over from some Boeing job we did years ago.
    Im not positive it is ss. definatly not alum. non magnetic. sparks yellow at the grinder.
    Now I'm thinking there's got to be a lot of surface area on this stuff, since water can pass through it.

I'll do a test tonight

Johnh Guest
    Possibly that is sintered nickel and if that is the case it should be great for electrodes
    John