Thread: Teflon threaded rod, instead of Nylon threaded rod? Is it better?

Teflon threaded rod, instead of Nylon threaded rod? Is it better?

I'm building the Smacks Booster.
    It calls for Nylon threaded rod for the main support bolts through the electrode plates.

The problem I see:
    Nylon's heat rating is only 185*F

I have been looking into alternitives to nylon, and found that Teflon has a much higher heat rating of 500*F, and it is said to be very chemical resistant.

So I'd like to hear from some of you that have experimented with Teflon inside the HHO generator.
    How does it hold up to KOH?

Electrical grade Teflon (PTFE) works wonders inside of a cell. I use it for longevity. Water boils at 212 deg F. Just something to think about unless you plan on installing some sort of chemical resistant dryer inline...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Electrical grade Teflon (PTFE) works wonders inside of a cell. I use it for longevity. Are you really thinking about running > 160 deg F though? Water boils at 160 deg F and the electrolyte KOH/NaOH boils at about 50 degrees higher. This would mean that you have a greater possibility of ingesting the water/electrolyte into your engine (if that is your intended application). Just something to think about unless you plan on installing some sort of chemical resistant dryer inline...
    err.. Water boils at 212F at sea level... Unless you plan to drive your vehicle up mount Everest at which point it would boil at about 160F.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

JojoJaro Guest
    Yes, Teflon is the superior to Nylon in Temp and Chemical compatibility. It is almost the best material, however, certain Teflon Formulations have a tendency to crack due to fatigue. Stress fractures are Teflon's Achilles heel. Use Teflon PFA, it is supposed to be less susceptible to stress fractures than other Teflon formulations.

HomeGrown Guest
    Anyone have a good source for this Teflon PTFE? I'd like to make end caps for my housing out of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    err.. Water boils at 212F at sea level... Unless you plan to drive your vehicle up mount Everest at which point it would boil at about 160F.
    Corrected.

justaguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSquid View Post
    I'm building the Smacks Booster.
    It calls for Nylon threaded rod for the main support bolts through the electrode plates.

The problem I see:
    Nylon's heat rating is only 185*F

I have been looking into alternitives to nylon, and found that Teflon has a much higher heat rating of 500*F, and it is said to be very chemical resistant.

So I'd like to hear from some of you that have experimented with Teflon inside the HHO generator.
    How does it hold up to KOH?
    Do you plan on your generator running this hot? If you do your going to start producing steam and that is not good. It does not have to get to boiling point to make steam in a generator.

djerickd Guest
    where can you get some?

No, I do not plan for my generator to get over 140*F
    In fact, I would like to build it to only get up to about 120*F

The reason I want to not use Nylon is because on all the spec sheets I've seen on Nylon, it says it is unacceptable for use with a strong base (NaOH), and has a 180*F long term working temp.

Now I understand that the mixture of NaOH or KOH is light, not strong, but for lasting durability, I want the better choice.

Teflon PTFE is superior when it comes to chemical resistance. It also has a 550*F long term working temp. It is much better suited to long life in the generator.

Good luck finding threaded teflon rod. I searched hundreds of sites and still nothing. You will have to buy the raw rod and thread it yourself. Given the choice, I suggest a fine thread. Teflon is known to be "slippery", and your nuts will want to loosen and ride off.

Your local plastics suppier should have 5/16 or 3/8 teflon ptfe rod.

After I build by first booster, I may start selling threaded teflon rod on ebay in the smaller sizes needed for our units. ... and of course, they would be a reasonable price.