Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to stop the SPAM!

Talking Trying to stop the SPAM!

I have turned on new user moderation, which means that new users will have to be accepted by a moderator (Statous or computerclinic) If this does not work very well, we will look into some other options, but the spam needs to stop!

I hope this will not stop valued people from posting, for very long.

Thanks all for your patience!

-Mike

wljohns Guest
    Great!!!!!!!!

countryboy18 Guest
    so your saying no one can stop them. i thought some one can delete them? it is getting worse but i am glad that you are trying to make things better. thanks.

We can delete the posts, and also ban the users, but the problem is that because we are a free website there is nothing that will stop them from registering a new name and just keep spamming. We cant ban by IP address because we are using vBulletin which does not have the available option for that sort of ban installed (yet)...

The next best solution is to "screen" new members as they register....Its that or moderate the posts which is a huge pain in the #*!....

For new members who would like to post right away, we thank you for your patience and we will get you going as soon as possible.

Thanks All!
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

Quote Originally Posted by computerclinic View Post
    We cant ban by IP address because we are using vBulletin which does not have the available option for that sort of ban installed (yet)...
    What is your host operating system? You could place a firewall rule in to block the IP at the network interface.

Actually, according to this forum post:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...15&postcount=3

... you can ban by IP. Forum software upgrade perhaps?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

The primary Admin (technikl) can ban by IP addy, but the rest of us cant...at least not yet....thats what we are trying to work out right now...

As for firewall on the host server, I am not to sure about the hardware nor software environment....

Its a pain in the backside, but we are working the problem folks...Hopefully VERY soon we will be able to make the necessary changes so that ALL of the admins and moderators may do necessary banning....

In the mean time, PLEASE KEEP THE REPORTS COMMING!!!!!! Me personally, I check email very regularly and so does Stratous....As soon as we recieve a spam report, we do our best to get on it right away...

Thanks Folks
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

Exclamation Maybe something to consider...

Isn't there also the possibility of this scenario for dynamic IP?

-Att.net user spams in forum and admin blocks by IP address
    -Att.net spammer's IP address changes after 24 hours
    -Existing legit HHOF member on Att.net renews his IP address from DHCP and receives the spammer's IP address thus being blocked.

Or is the logic for example: (UserIPAddress && UserName)

I know the possibility is very minimal, but I would hate to be blocked inadvertently. Spammers should be burned at the stake!

Cadillac Guest
    Don't get me wrong I am on the computer quite a bit. I hear people talking about spam. What is spam? Is it like solicitors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(electronic)

It's the internet version of Telemarketing basically. Annoying as hell.

thumbs up

I haven't seen any spam reports in a while! looks like we have it licked.

think it's safe to turn off moderated new users?