Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Spiral Generator

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy18 View Post
    can you post a pic of the bottle you got from lowes. i have looked and cound never find it. thanks.
    Yep I try to get one on later tonight. I found this in the plumbing section, not in were the cleaning supplies are, but where all the pipes fittings and pipe are.

Well I just off my butt and went and took the pics. No point in wasting time, gas it going through the roof. If you can't read that brand name, it's Roebic. It's 100% sodium hydroxide. They had Draino in 16 oz cans for 5 buck and down below this they had this brand, 2 lbs for $7.50. Couldn't resist the better buy. Lowes Hardware store

countryboy18 Guest
    thanks for the pic realy helps.

sp1r0 Guest
    I think sodium hydroxide is a better electrolyte than potassium hydroxide, just becauseof the fact sodium is a better conductor than potassium.

Chris65 Guest
    For those of you that are having a hard time finding lye, check stores like Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, or any hardware store or plumbing store. Look in the area where they sell drain cleaners and find the 100% lye I have seen it in 4 or 5 stores here and I am in a very small town.

One other note, just because it says lye drain cleaner doesn't mean it is 100% lye. I saw one brand at Menards that said lyre drain cleaner, but it also contained sodium nitrate.

Yep, like the pic in post #12 this brand is 100% sodium hydroxide. Says it on the bottle. Couldn't find that on the Draino cans. Like I said earlier, I got this at Lowes Hardware in the plumbing department.

Would more round of wire in my spiral configuration cause more heat or would it help with my heat situation?

countryboy18 Guest
    dont quote me her but i think it would reduce the heat it like adding a nother plate to a normal cell. more area for the current to flow throught. just my $.02

countryboy18 Guest
    found the bottle of NaOH in the plumbing section not were all the other cleaning supplies are. i was real east to find know that i know what i was looking for. thanks. spiral gen are not as productive as plates.

Well my spiral generator is not up to par. I reworked my coils, doubling the length and no. of rounds. I used 12' of the 3/32 ss wire in each the inner and outer coil. Using 1/4 teaspoon NaOH, I was using 9 to 10 amps and my temp after an hour was 143 deg. F. My hho production is very low, I increased the NaOH by another 1/8 tsp and my amps went to 10 and my temp was 150 deg. F after about 30 min. It took a long, long 4 min. just to displace 1/2 liter of water and I'm pretty darn sure there's no leaks. A far cry from the 1 lpm most are getting.
    Guess I'll start looking about some plate configuration.