Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I am impressed by this

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
    Nice braze job, Stu! Looks like the braze took really well and flowed in. Like redneckgearhead mentioned, they do make ss pipe fittings, so that would be the material of choice. The way your braze turned out though, I would probably just drill & ream a nice precision hole and put a short piece of 1/4" ss tubing thru the hole and braze it on the outside. The precision hole would minimize braze seeping into the inside face of the plate, while making for a strong assembly. Rethinking my idea of a machined hose barb, that would probably be overkill.

If this part were made in high-production, such as an auto manufacturer (like they'd really produce HHO cells), I think the prefered method would be deep-draw extruding of the hose barb on the end plates, done in a prog die. No messy 2pc. assembly, just a nice clean extrusion.
    I only wish that production would be high enough to consider a piece end plate. Perhaps laser welding first step?

What I was thinking of doing is to first braze a piece of SS tubing cut from a SS coffee percolator stem (what else? lol) to the end plate and drill it out afterward.

BTW The tube stem of the coffee percolator is neatly welded to its conical base. A very beautiful weld.

Brazing followed by drilling would prevent any migration of the bronze material to the active side of the plate.

I intend to braze 1" long 1/4 - 20 steel contact bolts to the end plates.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Perhaps the "U" plates should have a wrap to prevent gunk from shorting them.
    Yeh that's sorta what I meant by my comment. I could see the best practice being in actually enclosing the whole thing in polycarbonate or wrapping with pvc wrap to prevent.