Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acetone added straight to your gas?

Arrow Acetone added straight to your gas?

My brother just recently told me about some research he's done about adding small amounts of pure acetone straight to your gasoline to improve MPG. He tested it on his eclipse and he saw a 6 MPG increase. I had NEVER heard of this and decided to dig in a little deeper. I found this article that seemed very interesting:

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...900069_Acetone

If this can really work, that would be fantastic to run in tandem with HHO as long as there are no draw backs. Where I'm brand new to this concept, I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard of this or has any experience!

Thanks all!
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

I have been putting Acetone in my gas tank for 3+ years experimenting how much works the best, and came to the conclusion that 1 1/2 oz per tank works the best on my car (a WRX impreza). Here are my mileage numbers for the last 6 years, total average MPG per year;

'02; 21.8 MPG No additive in tank
    '03; 22.1 MPG No additive in tank
    '04; 21.4 MPG No additive in tank
    '05; 22.5 MPG Experiment with 4oz Acetone per tank
    '06; 22.8 MPG Experiment with 3oz Acetone per tank
    '07; 23.8 MPG Experiment with 1 1/2oz Acetone per tank

That works out to 1.3 MPG better fuel mileage per year on average with acetone than without, or 2.4 MPG better from worst year without to best year with acetone... So as far as I'm concerned it does work, 6% to 11% better MPG for 23 cents a tank is pretty good...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    I have been putting Acetone in my gas tank for 3+ years experimenting how much works the best, and came to the conclusion that 1 1/2 oz per tank works the best on my car (a WRX impreza). Here are my mileage numbers for the last 6 years, total average MPG per year;

That works out to 1.3 MPG better fuel mileage per year on average with acetone than without, or 2.4 MPG better from worst year without to best year with acetone... So as far as I'm concerned it does work, 6% to 11% better MPG for 23 cents a tank is pretty good...
    Have you ever had any kind of fuel repairs like pump, injectors, fuel lines. A guy told me that acetone in fuel just messes stuff up. I had to ask so I can rub it in. Especially with your chart above.

I have been told that both xylol and acetone both work in similar manor.

I have considered it, but have not yet tried it.

Note that I was told to use 3 oz each (both xylol, and acetone), per every 10 gallons, but If I try it, I would start with a lower concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    Have you ever had any kind of fuel repairs like pump, injectors, fuel lines. A guy told me that acetone in fuel just messes stuff up. I had to ask so I can rub it in. Especially with your chart above.
    Never, no problems whatsoever. Think about it 1 1/2 oz. in 15.5 gallons of gas won't make it that much more corrosive than it already is... My car now has 289,500KMs/181,000Miles, still stock everything as far as the fuel injection/fueling goes.

Never, no problems whatsoever. Think about it 1 1/2 oz. in 15.5 gallons of gas won't make it that much more corrosive than it already is... My car now has 289,500KMs/181,000Miles, still stock everything as far as the fuel injection/fueling goes.
    Thanks for the info!

How many gallons of gas does your tank hold. I just went and filled my tank up and added acetone at 2 oz. for every ten gallons of gas. What ratio do you use?
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

Cool I tried an ounce of acetone last week.

Only it tasted lousy and my MPG was not increased.

BoyntonStu

Laughing just thinking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by HHOhoper View Post
    How many gallons of gas does your tank hold. I just went and filled my tank up and added acetone at 2 oz. for every ten gallons of gas. What ratio do you use?
    60L/15.78 US gallons. I put in 1 1/2 oz. of acetone per tank. Different gas/engine set ups may need different ratios to work.

60L/15.78 US gallons. I put in 1 1/2 oz. of acetone per tank. Different gas/engine set ups may need different ratios to work.
    I found that acetone was to haed to keep using, cause it likes to eat plastic, and would eat my funnel.

and i tried it 2 years ago.

just found not worth it. just my .06 cents worth.

D