Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 24 plates configuration

JonDoh Guest

24 plates configuration

until now.....
    the most plates I've use in a cell was 8 plates configured +nn--nn+
    Works flawlessly.... cool.... low amps..... but not a big producer.

so....... I just got hold of 24 plates & have no idea how to configure this.
    I don't want to do +-+-+- etc b/c it pulls way too much current & gets too hot..... any successful suggestions from those who have experimented already.... I could possibly go up to 30 plates... please let me know....

If you are planning on running it in your car and using either KOH or NaOH then use a 21 plate configuration. +NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+ This will give yo a 2.4 to 2.7 voltage drop across each cell.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    If you are planning on running it in your car and using either KOH or NaOH then use a 21 plate configuration. +NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+ This will give yo a 2.4 to 2.7 voltage drop across each cell.
    I hate to say anything contrary to what u are saying, but with the testing i have done shows that its better to have more negative plates.

I would go -NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-.

Please correct me if im wrong, but i get better production with more negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    I hate to say anything contrary to what u are saying, but with the testing i have done shows that its better to have more negative plates.

I would go -NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-.

Please correct me if im wrong, but i get better production with more negatives.
    Either way, I tried both and didn't notice any difference in production levels or cell efficiency . YMMV
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

JonDoh Guest
    Hmmmm???

Which plate produces the HHO gas?

+ or -?

Does the neutral produce anything but used as a barrier for current flow?

Since my current configuration is +nn--nn+

Would it work as +nn--nn++nn--nn++nn--nn+??

Or should I just make 3 seperate units?

The plates have tabs @ the ends so to make them neutral I have to cut the tabs.... I want to have it right the first time from the advice from experimenters that have tried whichever configuration.

Tremorfalcon Guest
    The negative plate produces the hydrogen while the oxygen is produced by the positive plates.

I wonder about neutral plates, if they are used as a barrier to current flow then wouldn't they also cause voltage drop and should be calculated into the "number of plates equation"? So with 12 volts wouldn't you only use 6 plates, even with neutrals, such as +NNNN-?

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoh View Post
    Hmmmm???

Which plate produces the HHO gas?

+ or -?

Does the neutral produce anything but used as a barrier for current flow?

Since my current configuration is +nn--nn+

Would it work as +nn--nn++nn--nn++nn--nn+??

Or should I just make 3 seperate units?

The plates have tabs @ the ends so to make them neutral I have to cut the tabs.... I want to have it right the first time from the advice from experimenters that have tried whichever configuration.
    Here my config suggestion:

"|" = non-conductive spacer plate.

+nnnnn-|+nnnnn-|+nnnnn-

So, then you will have (3) 6 cell units in one. Just be sure to wrap or seal the cell properly. Neutrals divide the voltage while closer gapping helps current.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Here my config suggestion:

"|" = non-conductive spacer plate.

+nnnnn-|+nnnnn-|+nnnnn-

So, then you will have (3) 6 cell units in one. Just be sure to wrap or seal the cell properly. Neutrals divide the voltage while closer gapping helps current.
    why do u want so many nuetrals??
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    why do u want so many nuetrals??
    Cause the system is 12V and each division group creates 6 cells, which means 2V across cells. Less heat.

wljohns Guest
    YES neutrals produce hho. Depending on your configuration. They polarize inside the electrolyte.