Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Separate H & O? Will it make difference?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tbhavsar Guest

Separate H & O? Will it make difference?

I am thinking about separating Hydrogen and Oxygen using an ‘H’ shape PVC Pipe housing (please click on attached drawing); the idea is to pass Oxygen only to the Air/Filter Intake and Hydrogen to Engine. I would like to ask experts, will this make any positive improvements compare to passing both together (HHO gas).

mkmmcd Guest
    I didn't see your thread, and asked the same question somewhere else. It makes sense to me (but I haven't built a system yet). It seems like it might help with the O2 sensor problems, that people have needed to deal with. I'll be interested in seeing your results.

So you're planning on having the negative plates on one side and the positives on the other side, feeding to different sources?

I don't think that will work well because the plates will be too far apart to conduct sifficient electricity to make much gas.

I have seen this done with different designs, I believe I saw a H2 torch set up this way on Youtube, or perhaps a website. If you mix he electrolye strong enough, it should work.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

mkmmcd Guest
    What if you didn't have an H-shaped generator, but rather placed a barrier between the positive and the negative that would freely allow the electrolyte and electrons to pass, but would hinder the gas bubbles from mixing. Something like a stainless steel screen incorporated as a neutral plate between the + & -? (here is a link to one place that sells ss screen:http://www.directmetals.com ). I think it would be a doable operation...ignorant as I am with no experience (yet) in building my own generator (We just had our 6th child last week, and money is a little tight right now with the bills... ).

You would have to keep them from mixing inside the open air portion of the elctrolizer. It could be done easily enough I think
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

amwewa66 Guest

HHO Seperation

I have been toying with the same idea and found that it is practical. I have another link that has simular diagram to yours but this was from a chemist.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sepa.../?comments=all

I would like to persue this idea more and would like some one that I can bounce ideas off of. Any takers out there?

tbhavsar Guest

Separate Oxygen! Five times more Horse Power!!!

The air around us is about 21 percent oxygen. Almost all the rest is nitrogen, which is inert when it runs through the engine. The oxygen controls how much gasoline an engine can burn. The ratio of gas to oxygen is about 1:14 -- for each gram of gasoline that burns, the engine needs about 14 grams of oxygen. The engine can burn no more gas than the amount of oxygen allows. Any extra fuel would come out of the exhaust pipe unburned.

So if the car used pure oxygen, it would be inhaling 100 percent oxygen instead of 21 percent oxygen, or about five times more oxygen. This would mean that it could burn about five times more fuel. And that would mean about five times more horsepower. So a 100-horsepower engine would become a 500-horsepower engine!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/oxygen-engine.htm

PAPAFIXIT Guest
    That would be one smokin' Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by tbhavsar View Post
    The air around us is about 21 percent oxygen. Almost all the rest is nitrogen, which is inert when it runs through the engine. The oxygen controls how much gasoline an engine can burn. The ratio of gas to oxygen is about 1:14 -- for each gram of gasoline that burns, the engine needs about 14 grams of oxygen. The engine can burn no more gas than the amount of oxygen allows. Any extra fuel would come out of the exhaust pipe unburned.

So if the car used pure oxygen, it would be inhaling 100 percent oxygen instead of 21 percent oxygen, or about five times more oxygen. This would mean that it could burn about five times more fuel. And that would mean about five times more horsepower. So a 100-horsepower engine would become a 500-horsepower engine!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/oxygen-engine.htm
    Wow! This is so incorrect, it is... wow!

If you were able to get 100% burn on the fuel, you would only see a few percentage points increase in horsepower. Engines are, by there very nature, inefficient beasts. All engines are different, but in general, 80% of the energy is lost as heat 20% goes to the wheels. If you increase the oxygen to burn all the fuel, you still need to account for heat loss. Using your numbers 100-21=79*.2=15.8% increase in horsepower. So, theoretically, a 100 horsepower engine would become a 115.8 horsepower engine.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!