Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning, Warning... Please read...

Smith03Jetta Guest

Warning, Warning... Please read...

Warning, There is a risk of damage to your aluminum engine parts.

It can be prevented but please read below...

I mentioned this on my thread but I'll repeat for you:

Both my HHO devices put out a pretty decent volume of gas (1 - 1.5 liters) but any device that puts out that much HHO also puts out some water vapor that contains trace amounts of your Electrolyte. That electrolyte is pulled in past your throttle body and into your intake and into your cylinders. The vapors will eventually settle on the aluminum parts and start to corrode them.

I did not find this out until this week. I had some Non-HHO related car problems. My Brake booster went out. I also had a bad vacuum hose on my fuel pressure regulator. I had a bad Coolant Temp Sensor too. When I tore down my engine to fix these problems I discovered the corroding aluminum parts.

I'm talking specifically about the Throttle body housing. It should have been nice and shiny after I cleaned it but it had lost it's shiny finish and was pitting in certain places, Heavy pitting was occurring near where the plastic air plenum connected to the throttle body. I also had mineral deposits on the side walls that were inhibiting the butterfly valve from freely moving. There's no way this could have occured under normal operating conditions. I've checked...

The only thing under my hood that could have caused it was the Sodium Hydroxide. It eats Aluminum for lunch.

I cleaned my throttle body. It had oil and chemical buildup on it. It was causing my engine to run like crap. After cleaning it and putting it back together my engine started running like new again.

The only problem I've got now is trying to FOOLPROOF my HHO gas output so I don't get any NaOH in my intake. Some people on this forum (Including myself, probably) have stated that the electrolyte will stay in the HHO generator but IT IS NOT TRUE! I've got a damaged throttle body to prove it. It still functions properly but it will eventually quit working if the corrosion gets much worse. I'll be out $500 to replace it.

Now you can do what you will with this information but I would sincerely recommend that EVERYBODY on this forum inspect your throttle body for corrosion, regardless of what electrolyte you are using in your HHO Gen. You may not be able to see the corrosion on your carb or throttle body but you can use throttle body cleaner to clean your throttle body and Carb cleaner to clean your Carb to be able to do an inspection. It is definitely worth the 5 to 10 dollars to clean your throttle body. Cleaning it will definitely make your car run better and use less gas even if you don't have corrosion.

Be extremely careful and gentle while cleaning your throttle body. I recommend removing it from your car to clean it. There are sensitive electronic components/sensors that can be damaged if you drop it or use carb cleaner instead of throttle body cleaner. Trust me on this. Look up instructions on GOOGLE for cleaning your specific type of throttle body. They will come in handy.

The throttle body should be shiny on the inside after cleaning. If it is not, then you've got problems.

This is a warning... Please take heed!

i heard about this, thst is y im changing to KOH., and will use a bubbler also.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

donsimpson12 Guest
    I have to wonder if there's an "eating agent" in all of the Electrolytes being used. It makes since if there is...

I haven't experimented with any Electrolytes thus far, but really want to keep it that way if at all possible...

Quote Originally Posted by donsimpson12 View Post
    I have to wonder if there's an "eating agent" in all of the Electrolytes being used. It makes since if there is...

I haven't experimented with any Electrolytes thus far, but really want to keep it that way if at all possible...
    if ur not using electrolytes ur production must be low.

they help production.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

IronBear Guest

Of course...

Since most folks are using Hydroxide based electrolytes it would be only natural for them to damage aluminum parts. Sodium, Potassium and Aluminum all come from the same family in the periodic table, therefore they would have similar characteristics.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    This explains why some manufacturers are recommending a 50/50 mix of distilled water and vinegar for electrolyte. Maybe also explains why others recommend baking soda and distilled water.

I would think using a decent bubbler would prevent any sodium hydroxide from entering the intake

1973dodger Guest
    Mr. Smith

This is a very interesting thread, for which I have had some suspection of for a few weeks now. I posted my concerns on an earlier thread, but had no real proof, now there is proof I find credible. Just think about what cost one will incur for those with aluminum heads, although the oil bath on top of the heads will prevent this somewhat, it is still not worth the risk. We should at least consider a double bubbler or using something in our bubblers to neutralize the caustic effects of our electrolite. Those with a chemical background can comment on this further. I would think either vinegar or baking soda could possibly serve as a neutralizer, but not for sure.

1973dodger

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    I would think using a decent bubbler would prevent any sodium hydroxide from entering the intake
    Not necessarily true. Within the sphere of each bubble is HHO gas (with some electrolyte containing vapor present). There isn't enough surface contact area during bubbling to remove all the electrolyte containing vapor from the HHO gas. This is another reason why some plans call for 2 bubblers.

A massive cigarette filter would work because of the surface area. And it would just drain back down the feed line if you simply use gravity!

The cigarette filter needs to be able to withstand Hydrogen and KOH and/or NaOH.

Find out where the Jolly Green Giant takes his smoke breaks, and collect all those cigarette butts, and sell them here on this forum for $20 each!

Hmm,

How about using distilled white vinegar as your bubbler content?

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO