Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning, Warning... Please read...

On this subject of aluminum destruction, I found this page interesting:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03682.htm

To summarize, it states that Aluminum reacts with water to release hydrogen, however, the oxidization of the aluminum creates a layer that stops the reaction continuing (which we already know). However, if the water becomes a base solution via the addition of KOH or NaOH for example, this allows the reaction to continue unhindered.

The short answer here is that we need to keep both these substances out of our engines, if they contain aluminum. We will be getting some extra hydrogen produced by a method we do not want, otherwise.

Here's a question: How can we test our HHO output for the presence of these elements so we know if our scrubbing methods are working?

Perhaps we can pump the HHO into an aluminum can and check for pitting?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

donnylynn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    On this subject of aluminum destruction, I found this page interesting:

The short answer here is that we need to keep both these substances out of our engines, if they contain aluminum.
    We cant stop the water since it will be there anyway. humidity in the air and also water vapor as a by-product of combustion. So the real question is "How do we keep the electrolyte in the cell?"

Smith03Jetta Guest
    For you scientific types, I would suggest twin test generators built to exact specs with identical volume ouputs. You should attach your filter to one of the two systems. Build two more boxes. Inside those boxes put a block of un-treated aluminum. Don't use aluminum cans. They have varnish on them that protect against corrosion. Vent your HHO into that box. Let it run for several days straight. At the end of the time period take the aluminum out of the boxes and examine the surfaces. You should be able to see if one is more corroded than the other. That will tell you if your filter is doing its job.

You should also be able to see a visible difference if you vent the hose out into the air. One cell's gas should be visible. The other should not. I'll do this simple test and post the results. Maybe a Youtube Video.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest

Talking Solutions, not Problems!

The Smith03Jetta experiment has pretty much proven that most of us will have plenty of moisture (vapor) in our HHO gas even after it goes through a bubbler or two. There just doesn't seem to be enough surface contact area for a long enough period of time for bubbling to pull away all the electrolyte vapor.

What is needed is a vapor trap between the bubbler and the engine. Remember, WE are improving this technology; and WE are not finished yet. There is no law that says the vapor trap has to be fluid based, right? Sid Young made a very ingenious flashback arrestor of a piece of pipe filled with beach sand! He had it horizontally mounted under the hood for his YouTube video demonstrations. I'll bet that sand filled pipe scrubs more vapor off our HHO gas than any bubbler, especially if it were mounted vertically! In the vertical position any accumulated moisture just drips back down the line to the bubbler!

At this point either we go with vinegar & distilled water, or solve the vapor trap issue.

There are many Earth minerals available to buy, to fill an electrolyte vapor trap. Sand is one. Pure silicone sand may even withstand the hydrogen and KOH and NaOH.

Since WE are carrying this technology to a place where we want it to be, WE just get inventive and creative about it. There are probably a dozen solutions for the vapor trap that actually work. Fiberglass insulation has plenty of surface area while being readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Layers and layers of polymer cloth will also do the job, like those old polyester suits? What are those micro-fiber dust rags made of anyway?

How about Handy-Wipes, aren't they plastic based as well. Wouldn't ABS sawdust work too? PVC melts too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by donnylynn View Post
    We cant stop the water since it will be there anyway. humidity in the air and also water vapor as a by-product of combustion. So the real question is "How do we keep the electrolyte in the cell?"
    by "both these substances" I meant KOH and NaOH

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I tried the artificial steel wool this evening. Otherwise known as Scotch Brite. It does nothing to reduce the vapor stream. I built a filter with several inches of the material. If it did anything it made the vapor particles smaller. It acted more like a diffuser than a filter. The vapor particles are smaller than the pores in the Scotchbrite so they float right on through without much sticking to the material.

I also made a filter using activated charcoal from one of my organic particle masks. It had no effect.

I wonder what else we can use. I'm putting the call out for your guys to try different materials and report back your results. If anybody gets a good result with a material that does not have to be replaced frequently I'll try it myself and turn my HHO back on if it works.

I believe scotch bright can work. I have used plastic gutter guard for this purpose. But I have something more like scotch bright now, it works a little better. The trick is Simple to slow down the Flow of gas.

I think we just want maximum interface of the gases with max surfaces. So if we have a 4” PVC 12" long with a drain on the bottom, approximately 1 liter in volume, filled with these types of materials it may do a good job. If you’re flowing 2 lpm that means the gas will be in the filter for 30 seconds, which should give a lot of contacts.

Another way we did something like this with aquarium stuff. Is to coil long tubing. Gas going through coils of tubing does a good job of drying gases.

The tubing may be a better choice. I would not as concerned about flash backs with the coils.

Hmm, wouldn't running the gas line through an air filter (paper type, as used on the engine intake) remove the vapor?

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Hmm, wouldn't running the gas line through an air filter (paper type, as used on the engine intake) remove the vapor?
    Thats where i moved mine to keep water and lye out of my engines, i think an air filter will keep the water out but I am going to put a tee in the tube with a big tube hanging down to let the crap drop into that.My amps always drop after a couple weeks so i know i'm losing electrolyte. How long ya been running that hydro?

Quote Originally Posted by precaster1@msn.com View Post
    Thats where i moved mine to keep water and lye out of my engines, i think an air filter will keep the water out but I am going to put a tee in the tube with a big tube hanging down to let the crap drop into that.My amps always drop after a couple weeks so i know i'm losing electrolyte. How long ya been running that hydro?
    Mines only been running about 4 days, currently I'm piping right to the throttle body. Definitely rethinking after smiths revelations though.