Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wideband Efie

hygear Guest

Wideband Efie

Hi,
    New to the forum,but not to hho generator construction or tuning mods.I've built several cells and done all the mods possible to my 05 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4.
    I'm wondering if anyone has located a source that sells wideband efie's.This is the last thing I can install on my truck to further my mileage gains using an hho generator install.I have a large tero cell design installed presently that has an output of around 4 LPM.
    This forum seems to lean towards sensor and leaning mods,so I hope I might find someone that has located an efie that is compatable with wideband sensors.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,and also anyone needing help or advice regarding cell construction I'd more than willing to help.

Thanks HYGEAR

Quote Originally Posted by hygear View Post
    Hi,
    New to the forum,but not to hho generator construction or tuning mods.I've built several cells and done all the mods possible to my 05 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4.
    I'm wondering if anyone has located a source that sells wideband efie's.This is the last thing I can install on my truck to further my mileage gains using an hho generator install.I have a large tero cell design installed presently that has an output of around 4 LPM.
    This forum seems to lean towards sensor and leaning mods,so I hope I might find someone that has located an efie that is compatable with wideband sensors.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,and also anyone needing help or advice regarding cell construction I'd more than willing to help.

Thanks HYGEAR
    Your ram has wideband sensors? Does it have the california emissions package or is the hemi that different from my 06 4.7 ?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

hygear Guest
    I'm not sure about the calif. emissions package if they're wideband or not.I'm starting to think the hemi is in a class by itself,and I'm also not sure if calif. package is the same for your 4.7.Have you checked your voltages to detemine what type sensors you have?If it's like mine you should be reading around 7vdc for the heater wire and 2.5 to 3.5vdc on the other two(the fourth wire is the ground)remaining wires.Any voltage over 1 volt with the exception of the one that powers the heater which would read around 12vdc if it's a narrowband will most likely be wideband.These are the voltages for my vehicle and may vary from others.

Ok, if you have one o2 pre-cat and one o2 after, then it's not cali emissions. I was under the impression that my o2 was a narrowband, just from what I've read, I'll have to get under there and hook in a voltmeter.

I just dove into my 2006 dodge ram workshop and service manual, it states under the emission section that the o2 sensor will send a signal to the ECM that is between 0 and 1 volts, this is definitely narrowband. Not sure why you are finding a wideband in yours?

I take it you allowed the o2 time to warm up before reading?

hygear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I just dove into my 2006 dodge ram workshop and service manual, it states under the emission section that the o2 sensor will send a signal to the ECM that is between 0 and 1 volts, this is definitely narrowband. Not sure why you are finding a wideband in yours?

I take it you allowed the o2 time to warm up before reading?
    I checked voltages with just ignition on,with the engine running (but not fully warmed up) and with motor running at full temp.Same results with little variance with each of the readings,also checked both precat sensors just to be certain.Yep it's wideband alright,also have friends on other forums with the same year truck and motor,all have widebands some 04's as well.Does your truck have 1 precat and 1 postcat or is it like mine with 2 pre and 2 post?
    At least you have good news being yours is narrowband,the 0-1 volts confirms that.It may be that they installed narrowband on the smaller motor for some reason.
    Afr's are apparently tricky to get around,if not you would see them listed on flea-bay and numerous other sites selling hho wares.I'm not the only one searching for these,a lot of people are waiting for someone to develop one that works.Until then I'm stuck with my modest 14-15% increase with hho and other mods I've installed.

Jaxom Guest
    I looked this up on AllData because the concept of a 4-wire wideband didn't sound right to me. On an '05 Ram 5.7, having 4 O2's is an indicator of Cali emissions, Federal emissions trucks only had 2 O2's. However, according to my information, they both use narrowband sensors. Also, I have never seen an O2 heater that operates at 7 volts. They are always 12v circuits, and normally on their own fused circuit.

Are you sure your meter is accurate and that you had a good ground when you checked this?

hygear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    I looked this up on AllData because the concept of a 4-wire wideband didn't sound right to me. On an '05 Ram 5.7, having 4 O2's is an indicator of Cali emissions, Federal emissions trucks only had 2 O2's. However, according to my information, they both use narrowband sensors. Also, I have never seen an O2 heater that operates at 7 volts. They are always 12v circuits, and normally on their own fused circuit.

Are you sure your meter is accurate and that you had a good ground when you checked this?

Okay went and got new meter,engine running for 30 min.and ground wire run dircectly from the battery.So here are the voltages I got,Btw I have meter set to 20vdc.
    1)white wire # 1 4.64-5.35 bouncing
    2)white wire # 2 0.06 steady
    3)gray wire 2.58 steady
    4)black wire 2.64-3.25 bouncing

Check both precat sensors with little or no difference,also the sensors were just replaced 3 weeks ago.
    Now these readings were taken with the sensors plugged in,I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    What I've read and been told just seeing the voltages on black and gray wires mean wideband unless I missed something(and I sometimes do LOL)
    Jaxom let me know what your opinion is on these voltages when you have time.
    Thanks HYGEAR

Jaxom Guest
    My opinion is that they're odd. I make my living on this stuff and I've never seen a wideband O2 with fewer than 5 wires. The Wht/Wht/Blk/Gry is a standard color code for a 4-wire heated narrowband O2. The two white wires are power and ground for the heater circuit, the gray is sensor reference (PCM ground) and the black is signal to the PCM.

The white wires are resonable, some PCMs will duty cycle the heater circuit once the sensor is warm, which would explain the bouncing 4.5-5.5v on the one white wire. The 0v white is the heater ground.

The gray has a 2.5v bias which is strange, it should show 0 volts. The black should fluctuate .1-.8v higher than the gray, so it's pretty close. It actually looks like you have a bad ground on the sensor return circuit.

hygear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    My opinion is that they're odd. I make my living on this stuff and I've never seen a wideband O2 with fewer than 5 wires. The Wht/Wht/Blk/Gry is a standard color code for a 4-wire heated narrowband O2. The two white wires are power and ground for the heater circuit, the gray is sensor reference (PCM ground) and the black is signal to the PCM.

The white wires are resonable, some PCMs will duty cycle the heater circuit once the sensor is warm, which would explain the bouncing 4.5-5.5v on the one white wire. The 0v white is the heater ground.

The gray has a 2.5v bias which is strange, it should show 0 volts. The black should fluctuate .1-.8v higher than the gray, so it's pretty close. It actually looks like you have a bad ground on the sensor return circuit.
    Well here's another kicker,the other people I mentioned that had the same year and set up have similar voltages if not almost exact,and not just one but several of us.
    The other forum I'm on fuelsaver the administrator sells efie's and he and others also stated the voltages indicated wideband also.He's currently delveloping one that should be ready around december.There's another member of that forum well versed in tuning for hho who also confirmed I had wideband after I posted the same voltages.
    I wish my knowledge of sensors was a bit broader but right now I'm stuck with what I read and others tell me.
    Thanks for taking time to help out and if you come up with anything to help out it's greatly appreciated.
    HYGEAR