Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wideband Efie

candyman55 Guest

Calibrator

Hygear,
    I have been reading your posts on some of the forums, check out the guys at underdog racing development and see if they can help you. I got a AFR sensor calibrator for my toyota. Seems like they knew a lot what was going on. Just type in URD on google.

Quote Originally Posted by hygear View Post
    Does your truck have 1 precat and 1 postcat or is it like mine with 2 pre and 2 post?
    My truck has 1 pre and 1 post, 2 pre and 2 post is the cali emissions setup as jaxom already stated.

I think we need to also double check exactly how you are connecting your test meter when checking the voltages?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

hygear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    My truck has 1 pre and 1 post, 2 pre and 2 post is the cali emissions setup as jaxom already stated.

I think we need to also double check exactly how you are connecting your test meter when checking the voltages?
    I can understand where I could've made a mistake,but with over a half dozen others with the same voltages and the same vehicle I don't think we can all be making the same mistake.
    Also my meter is brand new and has the same readings as the old one.Also they only has 1 neg. and 1 pos. probes.I'm taking the redings right from the wire with the pos, probe and have the neg. probe connected sraight to the battery.I soldered a needle on the pos. probe and insert that into the wire.Same way I did when locating the wire to the ECM when I was installing the map enhancer and it worked fine.
    That's everything I can think of regarding the way I was taking my readings.Please let me know if there's another way check this.

Thanks for the help
    HYGEAR

If you look up alldata code 172 step 3 it gives the voltages for the o2 sensor at 2.5 to 3.4 volts with 0-5 volt range. That just came off alldatapro online. Doesn't sound narrow band to me. It's also a 4 wire sensor. OH, I do make a living doing automotive electronics trouble shooting.

hygear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    If you look up alldata code 172 step 3 it gives the voltages for the o2 sensor at 2.5 to 3.4 volts with 0-5 volt range. That just came off alldatapro online. Doesn't sound narrow band to me. It's also a 4 wire sensor.
    That's what I've been saying is those voltages tell the story because no narrowband has those voltages, 0-1 volt and that what all the efie's on the market are set up to do is to adjust beteen that range and more accuratly between 200mv-450mv to control leaning air fuel ratio.
    Btw thanks Candyman55 for the urd tip I'll give em a call and see what they say.And thanks to all who are trying to help your time is appreciated.
    Oh yeah forgot to ask,Candyman how's that big honkin generator coming? You got it cranked up yet?

candyman55 Guest

generator

It's coming, I decided to rebuild the housing. The Polyethelyne was to soft and when it got up to about 160 deg. I was a little uncomfortable with that, so I used 1" plexiglas this time. It should have a better temp range and I can see inside. I will post on my thread on the other forum with pics within the next couple days.

hygear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candyman55 View Post
    It's coming, I decided to rebuild the housing. The Polyethelyne was to soft and when it got up to about 160 deg. I was a little uncomfortable with that, so I used 1" plexiglas this time. It should have a better temp range and I can see inside. I will post on my thread on the other forum with pics within the next couple days.
    Good luck with your build Candyman55,Can't wait for your post on your results,hope it's a gas LOL

I looked up a:
    2003 ram 1500 5.9 vin z
    2005 ram 1500 5.7 vin d
    2004 dakota 4wd 4.7 vin n

They are all wide band o2 sensors. All 4 wire sensors. All of this came from alldatapro.com
    All voltages stated were 2.5 to 3.4 midrange.

Keith's Garage Guest
    I agree with Jaxom, these voltages are weird. I have seen 4-wire AF sensors, but usually the wire color is different. The voltages look like they could be that of a wideband sensor, but without seeing the voltages on a labscope it could be hard to tell.
    I would be willing to bet that you have a narrowband sensor. Sometimes, especially on chryslers (their systems can be bass-ackward), the computer will have a built in resistor, or some other modifier. Look at the amount that the signal wire is switching, it looks like a narrow band sensor. How much did the new sensors cost you. A wideband sensor is going to be a lot more money than a standard narrowband.

Keith's Garage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    I looked up a:
    2003 ram 1500 5.9 vin z
    2005 ram 1500 5.7 vin d
    2004 dakota 4wd 4.7 vin n

They are all wide band o2 sensors. All 4 wire sensors. All of this came from alldatapro.com
    All voltages stated were 2.5 to 3.4 midrange.
    On Mitchell, it calls all 4 sensors narrowband. A good way to find out is to watch the current flowing from the sensor. the PCM uses current instead of voltage.