Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Chasing The White Rabbit Down The Hhole

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    yes, I understand how an IC engine works. any 6th grader does.
    sensors are required for a computer to help optimize the process. nothing new.

yes, H2 is added because it adds to the fuel. The problem is current programs for the computer tell it to add more fuel given a condition of left over O2. It is set up for burning O2, N, and all the other trace inert gasses in the atmosphere. Adding pure O2 releases much more energy on combustion, and there is actually an exess of O2 left over because of a more complete burn of the hydrocarbon.

I believe what is going on when restricting the airflow like these people are is that the computer is tricked into expecting an abnormal O2 reading from the sensor because of what is receives from its MAF or MAP.
    If you truly understand what the computer does with these readings, then you should be able to shed some light on this phenomenon.

I'm all ears.

You're talking circles. Are you adding hho, or o2? Which is it? (God, don't come back and say "both")

How is the restricting air to the engine are you altering the o2??? You are not! The percentage is still the same no matter what you do. Again, it goes back to a turbo, the more air you add, the more power and better mpg you will get.

What you are doing, is making the engine pull that much harder to get the air it needs, causing the opposite of what you want. Really, it is that simple.

You're talking fuel, I'm talking gas, there is a difference.

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    well, this thread went south fast... why was he attaching what I said... I didn't start the thread, just adding to the questions...

some people need to get a life better than what they got if that is all they can do is ridicule everyone and be vulgar...

clearly if the best you can do is insult us, then either you must be a know-it-all mech that should help us or you should find a better job so you can be happier... there is no reason for the attitude you have on this forum...

Riddler250 Guest
    yea hes a turd

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Watch your mouth dog- you might get a hair pull. Didn't your mama teach you any manners?

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck73 View Post
    well, this thread went south fast... why was he attaching what I said... I didn't start the thread, just adding to the questions...

some people need to get a life better than what they got if that is all they can do is ridicule everyone and be vulgar...

clearly if the best you can do is insult us, then either you must be a know-it-all mech that should help us or you should find a better job so you can be happier... there is no reason for the attitude you have on this forum...
    First of all, I'm not a "mech", I'm an automotive technician.

I wasnt' insulting those that make an effort to tell the trueth. I'm insulting the dumba** that are making sh** up as they go along.

If I didn't know, I wouldn't say. But, the fact is, I do know what i"m talking about, sorry if that offends some of you.

As far as my life, I probably pay in more Federal income tax per year, than most make gross per year on these boards

I think he's too young to know any better.
    maybe he'll get bored of pissing on the trees and leave.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by precaster1@msn.com View Post
    Watch your mouth dog- you might get a hair pull. Didn't your mama teach you any manners?
    I see, someone can call me names, but I can't respond? What kind of a board is this? communist?

Freedom of speach and expression my friend, love it or leave it.

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    First of all, I'm not a "mech", I'm an automotive technician.

As far as my life, I probably pay in more Federal income tax per year, than most make gross per year on these boards
    Whats the difference between a mech and an automotive tech, an $80,000 student loan?

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    I see, someone can call me names, but I can't respond? What kind of a board is this? communist?

Freedom of speach and expression my friend, love it or leave it.
    You named yourself, scooter. Awful nice of you to share your knowledge with us poor people, I'm sure your income adds greatly to it.

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    it is possible to be educated to such a degree that you overlook the obvious... just because you may think you know-it-all, doesn't mean you can find your way across the street without getting hit...

this is a statement of facts, not directed toward anyone...

now, a question for scooterdog...

is the following quote correct?

How they work -Simplified
    Titania sensors do NOT have the ability to produce a self-voltage. Instead, the engine ECU supplies a base reference voltage. If the air/fuel ratio is rich, the resistance in the sensor is low. When the fuel mixture is lean, resistance in the sensor is high. The ECU then uses this high or low signal to adjusts the fuel flow through the fuel injectors. The speed with which it can change from reading a rich to lean or lean to rich air/fuel mixture is called its cross count. The higher or faster the cross counts, the better the sensor.

How they work –Simple details
    Your engine will produce the greatest power and the fewest emissions when the air/fuel mixture is kept at a ratio of 14.7 to 1. This is referred to as “stoichiometric”. To try to keep the air/fuel mixture at this ratio, the ECU sends a base or reference voltage to power the titania sensor. It then looks for the signal back from the sensor which will be measured by the amount of resistance ranging from a low resistance of 1000 ohms (when the engine air/fuel mixture is too rich) to a high resistance of over 20,000 ohms (when the air/fuel ratio is considered too lean). The ECU reads the resistance voltage being reported from the sensor and makes adjustments to the fuel through the fuel injectors accordingly. Unlike the newer zirconia sensor, the titania sensor does not require outside reference air to do its job, it is a sealed environment sensor

ok, so here is a wiring schematic of what your typical 4-wire sensor does...

here is the closeup of the eletro-chemical schematic...

here is what it sends back to the ECM (engine computer)...

here is what it all looks like to us...

basically, it measures the resistance across the ions of oxygen that make it into the sensor, and then uses that resistance to return a voltage (from the ECU reference voltage) back to the ECU for processing... the ECU looks the voltage up in the fuel table, and thinks it knows how much air and fuel went into the engine in the first place... then it adjusts accordingly....
    if so, we are simply limiting the amount of o2 in the exhaust to reduce the fuel maintained by the computer in a 14.7:1 ratio... is this correct?