Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Chasing The White Rabbit Down The Hhole

Well now, I've been lurking at this site and thread for a few days now. It seems to me that restricting the air intake is the same thing many have tried with so-called MAP adjusters.

I have been experimenting with my IAT, ECT and MAP for about 6 months now, after about 6 months of reasearch. I have a very regular commute over varied terrain and traffic conditions. I use an Autoxray scanner and monitor all my sensors and fuel trims while driving. My HHO cell is in it's final version but not installed. I also have a COSMllA 02 sensor enhancer ready to go in.

Bottom line, with every thing I have tried to date, I can only attribute, at the most, a possible 1 MPG with all I have done. The MAP sensor tweek did more damage than good.

Actually, a lightly loaded disk in the intake sounds to be a good substiute for the MAP tweek. It would be more responsive to power needs while more restrictive at low speed and trailing throttle conditions that seem to run my fuel trims more positive.

I have had the truck in my mechanic's huge scanner and all parameters are well within normal.

I just ran out and put about a 30% duct tape block in my intake, at the air cleaner's outlet. I'll report back on my impressions tonight, but won't have enough miles for a MPG check for a week. Right now the truck has been back to stock for a month, except for the tape today, I have been getting the EPA highway mileage rating of 26 MPG for a month now just by driving gently.

'99 S-10 pickup, 2.2L, 4 cyl, automatic, shortbed with an alum cap, 92K miles

solo33 Guest

Photo yes!

Hi jimbo40. By all means a photo or drawing would be totally cool!
    Thanks.

jimbo40 Guest
    Here it is, it's clear plexi
    if I want more back pressure I can just add more weight

Well my 55 mile trip home seemed to go well.

My scanner reads out trims in percents +/-.

Short term fuel trims seemed to be slightly wider in general neg. to pos. But on trailing throttle it was about 2% lower and I saw many short transitions of 5 to 7% lower.

Long term was decidedly more neg. on the average. In the most important (to me) 40 to 55 MPH range I saw as much as 3% more neg. and at 60 about 1.5% lower. I had quite a few transitions at all speeds as much as 5% more neg. Better than I have seen before.

At many times I had ST and LTs that equaled 10% + lower.

Driveability seemed normal at all speeds.

The MPG will tell this coming week end. My MAP experiments had already proved lower is not always better. I also noticed my timing advance seemed to be a deg. or 2 lower.

atfab

Nice job Jimbo40, My inlet is vertical and I have some 1/4" plexi, might be too heavy but worth a try. Could always drill some holes.

atfab

solo33 Guest

?????????????///

Thanks, jimbo40, great photos. I like 'em!

Bill Bailey Guest

Good Stuff

Good Stuff Jimbo.
    I knew you could get it to work for you.
    I did consider the flap idea, but got worried about weather the computer would be able to keep up with the ever changing air mass readings and go into LIMP HOME MODE , Which is basically open circuit for the injectors and very fuel hungry.

Until somebody tries it and wins or fails we will never know.

At present I still think ( perhaps incorrectly ) that a fixed restriction
    ( as long as it is the right size ) is the simplest-and perhaps the most economical, as it cant go back to wide open air mix.

But time and input will tell.

Finding the % aria of a circle was quite a job for me until I realised that
    if I draw a circle and draw a line through it in the center from left to right, then both halves are 50%.
    Now if I draw a line through my circle through the middle from top to bottom , that gives me 4 segments all of which are 25%.

Or you can do it using a simple protractor .
    There are 360 degrees in a circle so if we divide the amount of degrees
    by 10 , 360_._ 10 = 36 . then we can say that each PIE shaped wedge = 36 degrees wide , represents 10% of our restriction and 10 of them will equal the whole PIE. = CIRCLE.

So now we can calculate 30%- 40% - 50% - 60% - 70% - What ever.

Like I said ......If you can feel it ------ you have gone to far.

A friend if mine in Malaysia was having a go at this after I suggested it to him, So later he told me it works great, this is how he did it and he had me roaring with laughter all day.

He had one of his WORKERS sit in the car with his foot on the accelerator
    with the taco reading 3'000 rpm while he stuffed cotton waste down the tube, and when the worker said the revs wear dropping he dragged some back out till the revs came back to 3'000.

I think you would call this crude but effective. lol lol

I hope he stuffed a piece of screen in first .

solo33 Guest
    I think "pi times r times r times .25" should give you the correct size hole, if you want to reduce the opening down to 25%.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    So this doesnt apply to vehicles without MAP sensors?

Cant believe this just pooped in my head

solo33 Guest

Liter Meter

http://www.jamesonmedical.com/pages/liter_meter.htm

Check this out................ I looked for some time for these OFF E-bay.