Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: carb tuning...anyone?

vtec Guest

Question carb tuning...anyone?

Hi,

do any of u know how to tune carb for HHO? (non fuel injection). I want to know how to tune carb like this guy does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbJ7JIW1qlo . If im not mistaken, the guy in the video was doing air/fuel tuning. It is a place where we set how much air comes in.

I hope someone can teach me how to tune it, how to know if im doing good or bad, and whats the relation between HHO and tuning air/fuel ratio.

Please don't mention about my HHO units. Its 100% good, no leakage, good electrolyte (KOH). I only want to learn on 'engine tuning for HHO'. Especially carb tuning and the air/fuel ratio like the guy in youtube did. Thanks.

Cadillac Guest
    Carburetor manufacture?
    Model number?
    Year, make and model of the car it is on?

Not all carbs are just mechanical. They actually got quite sophisticated in the later years of mainstream use in cars. Some need re-jetted others you will have to fool just like fuel injection cars.

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    I agree, if you can't identify the carb, at least give us the year, make, model, and engine setup that you have. the process is pretty basic even on early computer controlled carbs... but later ones are more difficult...

give use the basic info and one of us will be able to help...

vtec Guest
    im not sure what is the carb model or specification as i don't know where to look for it. But you can see my car detail here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_Wira .

That is exactly same with my car, the only thing is my Proton Wira is carburated.

Another thing is,

- My Proton Wira is 1.5GL (it is different with 1.5GLi, where 'i' indicate injection).
    - the gear is auto transmission
    - no computer or anything like that. Just carburetor.
    - there is no car/engine modification. Never been modified. Its still in original condition.

If that information is not enough, i hope someone can tell me where to look information for my carburetor specification. Thanks for ur help.

Regards,

Victor

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    what year?

where are you?

the car was built from 1995-current... I would bet you have some sort of computer in that car controlling the carb-device... do you have any pics?

I found an ECU for a proton wira on ebay... said it was for a 1.5L GL, it didn't give a year either... if you are correct that the "i" means injection, then you are probably right about the carb, but it is controlled... GM began messing with computerized carbs in the mid to late 70s and production models were available from 80 on.

the engine is made by Mitsubishi, and I'll be willing to bet they have messed with controlled carbs for at least that long...

another support to being computerized is that the US made OBDII a standard in 1996, even if you aren't in the states, most countries had OBDII adopted by 2000...

vtec Guest
    what year?
    - hmm..between 95 - 97 i think. i bought it 2nd hand but forgot the details.

where are you?
    - malaysia

the car was built from 1995-current... I would bet you have some sort of computer in that car controlling the carb-device... do you have any pics?
    - dun have any pic. im very sure there is no computer devise. Ok, i can provide pics, but where it is located and where do u think should i point my camera?

I found an ECU for a proton wira on ebay... said it was for a 1.5L GL, it didn't give a year either... if you are correct that the "i" means injection, then you are probably right about the carb, but it is controlled... GM began messing with computerized carbs in the mid to late 70s and production models were available from 80 on.

the engine is made by Mitsubishi, and I'll be willing to bet they have messed with controlled carbs for at least that long...
    - how to know the carb is 'controlled'? is there any obvious things that i can see?

Regards,

Victor

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    post a pic of the engine compartment... with the air cleaner off is preferred. also, some close-ups of the carb.

another spot you can look is under the dash, usually on the drivers side...

if you see a connector like this, then you have OBDII (on board diagnostics 2nd generation). if you are 1995-97 then I doubt you will have this one... but if there is a connector there, get a pic of it, I can try to ID it...

in the engine compartment, if you have more than a few wires going to engine's sensors then you have a computer. for instance, my brother has a 1967 ford mustang, it's got a carb with no computer. he has one wire going to the coolant temp sensor, and wire going to the oil pressure sensor and 2 wires going to the alternator... anything more than that, and I'd say you have a computer in there somewhere. most imports that I'm familiar with have the computer under the drivers seat... you could look there and see if there is a silver box with a dozen or so wires going to it. if you have any wires going to the carb at all, then you have a computer, and if you have o2 sensors, you've got to have a computer somewhere.

o2 sensors are oxygen sensing devices that would be mounted to the exhaust tube... there are at least 2 wires that would come from them, but can be as many as 5 wires. here is what an o2 sensor looks like...

they vary in position, but usually they are after the exhaust manifold and usually before the catalytic converter (if you have one of those)... some makers put them on the exhaust manifold...

vtec Guest
    This photos taken under the steer. This all i can see and there is nothing like what you mention.

Attachment 839

Attachment 840

Attachment 841

Attachment 842

Attachment 843

p.s - im trying hard looking for things you showed above but found nothing.

vtec Guest
    At last i think i found my carb on the net. It is MITSUBISHI 4G15 (Auto) carb. Below is the picture.

Attachment 844

Attachment 845

IF it is a confirm that my car is totally carb-based, i hope you can tell me how to tune the carb for max HHO efficiency. Thanks.

Regards,

Victor

If I give my carb specs could someone help me out(To post tommorow because I'm really tired). I'm having mixed results so any help I'd appreciate
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen