Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carb tuning...anyone?

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    At last i think i found my carb on the net. It is MITSUBISHI 4G15 (Auto) carb. Below is the picture.

Attachment 844

Attachment 845

IF it is a confirm that my car is totally carb-based, i hope you can tell me how to tune the carb for max HHO efficiency. Thanks.

Regards,

Victor
    well, that blue wire near the top is the throttle plunger... it pushes against the throttle to bump up the idle when your AC is on or other conditions that may need a little extra idle...

it looks like it doesn't have any other computer hookups... I will try to search for some info on this carb... never ran across that one before... so before I get us both in trouble, give me some time to check it out... shouldn't take more than a day tops....

Scooterdog Guest
    Hi,

do any of u know how to tune carb for HHO? (non fuel injection). I want to know how to tune carb like this guy does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbJ7JIW1qlo . If im not mistaken, the guy in the video was doing air/fuel tuning. It is a place where we set how much air comes in.

I hope someone can teach me how to tune it, how to know if im doing good or bad, and whats the relation between HHO and tuning air/fuel ratio.

Please don't mention about my HHO units. Its 100% good, no leakage, good electrolyte (KOH). I only want to learn on 'engine tuning for HHO'. Especially carb tuning and the air/fuel ratio like the guy in youtube did. Thanks.
    Turning screws only adjust's the idle mixture. You shouldn't need to rejet, as you should see a HP gain , meaning you need to press on the foot feed even less.

I've seen someone on here claim to rejet your carb, DO NOT DO THAT! you will burn the valves out. If the HHO is doing what people claim, you will only need to adjust your idle mixture.

To do that, hook up a tac(handheld) and slowly turn one screw in ward, usually clockwise,(if you have two on the carb) you will get an increase in rpm. When you lose about 2 or 3 rpm, back the screw out 1/4 turn. Now move over to the next screw, do the same. (MAKE SURE YOUR HHO IS WORKING! OR THIS WON'T HELP AT ALL).

When you get it set, burn a tank and see what you have. Although you can rejet one size, the decrease in gas, even though you are adding hho, will cause burnt valves if you go any more. Things get super expensive then.

vtec Guest
    What do you think about my idea below? Correct or wrong? Thanks.

When we using HHO in our car, the carb get extra air get into it. So, we need to restrict the air a little bit by adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw (for non-injection).

Thats mean, we cannot use the car's factory adjustment. Let say, the factory manual said: "to readjust the air/fuel mixture, close the screw completely, then open it by turning 2 and a half turn."

So we cannot use this adjustment because that is the adjustment when we are NOT using HHO. So, when we use HHO, we need to closed it completely and open it by turning maybe 1 and a half? (this is where i get stucked...SOMEONE PLS HELP! THANKS!)

Attachment 853
    This is my carb. If someone know this carb, pls teach me how much should i turn the air/fuel mixture after close it completely. thx.

p.s - thats only my assumption. can't find any forum that detailed how to adjust carb (non-injection). not even water4gas.

p.s.s - i wonder if there is anyone who installed HHO in their non-injection car and can feel the difference even without doing some tuning...pls tell me.. TQ.

p.s.s.s - anyway, why need to restrict air a little bit when using HHO? whts the theory/concept? could someone explain? Thanks again!~

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    Turning screws only adjust's the idle mixture. You shouldn't need to rejet, as you should see a HP gain , meaning you need to press on the foot feed even less.

I've seen someone on here claim to rejet your carb, DO NOT DO THAT! you will burn the valves out. If the HHO is doing what people claim, you will only need to adjust your idle mixture.

To do that, hook up a tac(handheld) and slowly turn one screw in ward, usually clockwise,(if you have two on the carb) you will get an increase in rpm. When you lose about 2 or 3 rpm, back the screw out 1/4 turn. Now move over to the next screw, do the same. (MAKE SURE YOUR HHO IS WORKING! OR THIS WON'T HELP AT ALL).

When you get it set, burn a tank and see what you have. Although you can rejet one size, the decrease in gas, even though you are adding hho, will cause burnt valves if you go any more. Things get super expensive then.
    no offense dog, but shouldn't you make sure that if he has two mixture screws that one of them isn't for high speed... on carbs, usually you have one mixture screw for idle and one for high speed... at least in my experience that is...

to just start telling people to move screws is bad form... unless you are familiar with his exact model... and I didn't hear you say you were or that the screw he pointed out was for mixture... it could be for something else...

this is not to insult... just caution that the person on the other end doesn't know the difference to the right or wrong answer...

no sense in flying blind and taking others along...

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    What do you think about my idea below? Correct or wrong? Thanks.

When we using HHO in our car, the carb get extra air get into it. So, we need to restrict the air a little bit by adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw (for non-injection).

Thats mean, we cannot use the car's factory adjustment. Let say, the factory manual said: "to readjust the air/fuel mixture, close the screw completely, then open it by turning 2 and a half turn."

So we cannot use this adjustment because that is the adjustment when we are NOT using HHO. So, when we use HHO, we need to closed it completely and open it by turning maybe 1 and a half? (this is where i get stucked...SOMEONE PLS HELP! THANKS!)

Attachment 853
    This is my carb. If someone know this carb, pls teach me how much should i turn the air/fuel mixture after close it completely. thx.

p.s - thats only my assumption. can't find any forum that detailed how to adjust carb (non-injection). not even water4gas.

p.s.s - i wonder if there is anyone who installed HHO in their non-injection car and can feel the difference even without doing some tuning...pls tell me.. TQ.

p.s.s.s - anyway, why need to restrict air a little bit when using HHO? whts the theory/concept? could someone explain? Thanks again!~
    vtec, when you adjust the mixture screw, all you are doing is reducing fuel... you are not reducing air... so essentially you are setting your carb to a higher than normal A/F ratio... you may need to reduce air as well... I've not been able to ID that screw yet... I would advise against messing with it until someone has verified the purpose of that adjustment... once that has been confirmed, the process that dog mentions is similar to the one I have always used, but with a slight adjustment... that last 1/4 turn, I usually use less... the 1/4 turn is to smooth out the idle as you are adjusting mixture... you may not need so much with hydrogen, and you should, once you get to that point, play with it to see what the best setting is... every engine is different...

I will be out of town tomorrow... it's my birthday and I'm going to be out of town... I will hopefully have the ID on that screw on sunday... sorry its taking so long...

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck73 View Post
    no offense dog, but shouldn't you make sure that if he has two mixture screws that one of them isn't for high speed... on carbs, usually you have one mixture screw for idle and one for high speed... at least in my experience that is...

to just start telling people to move screws is bad form... unless you are familiar with his exact model... and I didn't hear you say you were or that the screw he pointed out was for mixture... it could be for something else...

this is not to insult... just caution that the person on the other end doesn't know the difference to the right or wrong answer...

no sense in flying blind and taking others along...
    You have a left bank, and a right bank, unless it's a 4cyl. Some carbs do adjust the air rather than the gas.

The screws on the bottom are for idle mixuture. If you have a tac, you will see which screws to turn at idle.

one of them isn't for high speed... on carbs, usually you have one mixture screw for idle and one for high speed...
    Your idle mixture scews will affect idle, it's that simple, the other screw is for idle adjustment, it will be higher up on the carb.

You adjust high speed mixture by re-jetting the carb.

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    You have a left bank, and a right bank, unless it's a 4cyl. Some carbs do adjust the air rather than the gas.

The screws on the bottom are for idle mixuture. If you have a tac, you will see which screws to turn at idle....
    well that is what I was warning about... you must have missed the post where he said the engine was a 1.5liter engine... I hope that it is a 4cyl considering the pistons would be real small if it was a v6 or v8...

I do believe that left and right banks are only on Holley carbs? correct?

well, I'm tired... going to bed... I'll finish this in the morning...

vtec Guest
    Thanks for all the reply guys. Now lets back to basic. Let say, a car (non-injection) is in a good condition. After installed HHO, can we immediately feel the difference in both mileage and pickup? (before tuning the carb). Because i never see HHO manual that require us to do some tuning with carburetor other than tuning the HHO electrolyzer.

p.s - I've installed HHO in 2 car (carburetor) yet they still feel no difference..

p.s.s - pls don't ask about my HHO unit, its perfect. Guaranteed.

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    vtec,

I'm removing myself from this conversation... I haven't been able to find any info on your carb and I can't insure that my advice would be correct for your setup. most carbs are similar in design and function, but in this case we are in different countries with different products. here those 1.5s are all fuel injected, and I don't have access to the right information on that carb...

sorry I couldn't help and good luck with your setup...

vtec Guest

Smile

HiTechRedNeck73,

Its okay and thanks for your effort. But last question, for carburetor cars. Assume that the HHO unit is perfect and working, can we feel IMMEDIATE significant difference after installing it? (before tuning). Thanks.

Regards,

Vtec