Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carb tuning...anyone?

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    HiTechRedNeck73,

Its okay and thanks for your effort. But last question, for carburetor cars. Assume that the HHO unit is perfect and working, can we feel IMMEDIATE significant difference after installing it? (before tuning). Thanks.

Regards,

Vtec
    I have no idea... I'm working on one for myself but I am at least a month away from answering that question...

vtec Guest

Finally!~

Before HHO exist, all we can do to save on fuel is by put less gas in the carb. This mean, we should lean it. The cons is we can only lean it slightly because too lean will rise the engine temp.

After HHO exist, we can lean the carb MORE than just 'slightly' because of the cooling effect of HHO.

Is my theory above correct?

When i first learning about HHO few months ago, i only know that we should reduce the RPM to 600 - 700. But never did they mention that when installing HHO, we should put less gas in carb and thats mean, WE SHOULD LEAN THE CARB SLIGHTLY.

When i lean the carb (i want to play safe so i just turn 1/4 from original setting), there is great increase in acceleration. But I can feel that the temperature from the exhaust smoke is little hot than before. I know i'm going lean, but i think 1/4 turn (clockwise) is not going to make it too lean i guess. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Too lean will make the exhaust temperature too hot. But going lean is never make your engine cooler, so, how hot is too hot? and how hot is perfect?

Any answers/ comment are welcome. Thanks.

p.s - My car is 1.5 auto transmission and carb-based.

p.s.s - the key point here is, we need to LEAN THE CARB slightly after installing HHO and ITS REALLY IMPORTANT. Unfortunately, either its me who did not realized that or less people didn't emphasize this on their guideline.

p.s.s.s - before leaning the carb, i gain only 23% save after doing 100km test. Now i expect more.

-vtec-

Genesis HHO and Suburban 350

I have a 1975 GMC Suburban with a 350 V-8 and a carburetor. No emissions equipment whatsoever, not even an O2 sensor. I added HHO two days ago and I can already tell a massive improvement.

I changed the metering rods on my Edlebrock carb, which leans out the top on the highway, and turned the idle mix screws in a lot. I used a bubbler and ran it through a flash arrestor.

I inserted the HHO bubbler output hose to the constant vacuum port (for service on the carb)...usually this port is capped and not used. It directly puts HHO into the venturi through the nozzle (with this brand of carb)! I made everything vibration-proof and ran it on a long haul.

What normally would take a half tank took an 1/8th of a tank. You tell me. no loss in power...I would even report an increase, considering how much I leaned it out. I think if you lean it out, but add the HHO to "fill the gap"...then it works best.

We will see. It's only been two days.

My opinion is to get something OLD in good shape and then add the accessories you want. Suburbans are cheap, plentiful, and you can haul anything. I might be getting better than 20 mpg for all I know. I let it idle so long (using gas) while testing that it wouldn't be accurate until the next fill up.

The only issue most people have with HHO is trying to accommodate emissions equipment...even though it would blow lower stats with HHO installed...ironic. Go old, if you like old vehicles. Fix it up with the money saved from buying something for 20k.

HHO...perfect.

In aircraft, we lean the engines all the time for cruise. If the engine has an exhaust gas temp gauge, you lean for maximum temperature, then enrichen slightly. If the engine doesn't have EGT, then you lean until you get a slight drop in RPM and then enrichen until the RPM returns to normal then a little more. Same is true with carburetor or mechanical fuel injection.

Note that I said "for cruise". We leave the mixture rich for take off and climb, because the engine needs extra cooling when working hard.

In a car, I would think one could use the same basic technique, only you would need to enrichen a little more to provide the extra cooling for those times when the engine is working extra hard. Not a lot, just a little. An aircraft may take 30 minutes to reach altitude, so they run a lot longer under full power then a car/truck does. Furthermore, even at cruise an aircraft engine is under a lot more load than a car/truck engine is.

Just some thoughts for consideration....

Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    Before HHO exist, all we can do to save on fuel is by put less gas in the carb. This mean, we should lean it. The cons is we can only lean it slightly because too lean will rise the engine temp.

After HHO exist, we can lean the carb MORE than just 'slightly' because of the cooling effect of HHO.

Is my theory above correct?

When i first learning about HHO few months ago, i only know that we should reduce the RPM to 600 - 700. But never did they mention that when installing HHO, we should put less gas in carb and thats mean, WE SHOULD LEAN THE CARB SLIGHTLY.

When i lean the carb (i want to play safe so i just turn 1/4 from original setting), there is great increase in acceleration. But I can feel that the temperature from the exhaust smoke is little hot than before. I know i'm going lean, but i think 1/4 turn (clockwise) is not going to make it too lean i guess. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Too lean will make the exhaust temperature too hot. But going lean is never make your engine cooler, so, how hot is too hot? and how hot is perfect?

Any answers/ comment are welcome. Thanks.

p.s - My car is 1.5 auto transmission and carb-based.

p.s.s - the key point here is, we need to LEAN THE CARB slightly after installing HHO and ITS REALLY IMPORTANT. Unfortunately, either its me who did not realized that or less people didn't emphasize this on their guideline.

p.s.s.s - before leaning the carb, i gain only 23% save after doing 100km test. Now i expect more.

-vtec-

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorRico View Post

I inserted the HHO bubbler output hose to the constant vacuum port (for service on the carb)...usually this port is capped and not used. It directly puts HHO into the venturi through the nozzle (with this brand of carb)!
    I would suggest you rethink this.

Engine vacuum runs opposite of what you want with HHO. The vacuum is at its greatest when the engine is at idle and drops to zero at full throttle. This is contrary to the engine's need for HHO. Anyone that is old enough to remember driving cars with vacuum-powered windshield wipers will know what I mean -- going uphill they almost stop but when going downhill they go like a bat our of hell.

If, on the other hand, you introduce the HHO between the air cleaner and the throttle plate, the venturi action there will increase as the airflow into the engine increases, which is exactly what you want.

This I have verified. I have a scrubber/bubbler mounted about 6 inches from my air intake hose, and I can unhook my HHO line and as I increase the engine rpm it will bubble just from the venturi action sucking in air though the open fitting.

I have given some thought to how to increase this venture action, but everything I've come up with involved installing something inside the air intake hose -- something that could possible come loose and end up being ingested by the engine. Still thinking though, but I'm not really sure it's needed.

Venturi HHO Injection

Yes, that is what I did. The service port on the Edelbrock carbs is made differently than other carbs (so I was told, then I googled it for a few minutes), and the service port vacuum is high at cruise. The truck I put it in had an option for a Vac gauge in the cluster, so...that could actually measure it. The pictures on my page show you exactly where I installed the output line.

I have a lot of pictures here: Alternative Fuel Suburban

I should note that it is all done for less than 80 bucks or so. Some people are ribbing me for not adding more generators, or not going 'dry cell'...and eventually I will. Right now, it is just an experiment.

Thanks! I have done a ton of work to it. I could have found better examples of Suburban to work on...but the rack, and not having to deal with a Check Engine light helped the decision.

Eventually, I would like to build a generator about the size of a car battery, and use the -NNNN+NNNN- setup. Or the positive on the outside. The one I have now is really putting out a lot of gas (with fresh electrolyte) with that setup.

Right now, I am getting the A/C fixed. Phoenix, AZ in June. Hopefully the front and rear units still work. Just needs a compressor.

I am trying to get my hands on one of those Propane kits. I saw one on the bay for $600, and it bolts right on top of the Edelbrock 4-barrel I have now. Mount a tank, run lines, done.

Professor,
    Glad to see things are working for you. If and when you do build a drycell reactor, don't go with 4 bi-polar plates. Like Koya said, use at least 5 per stack.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Hi to all.

I leaned a LOOOOOT my Carburettor, external jets, and main jet (that was inside). My car lost power, and became slow, but I got 50%....

How to test if I'm leaning it too much and can be dangerous?.

Regards.

Don't you folks ever actually Answer any Questions on this site???
    I looked at sever topics I needed to know about, and found just more Questions.

At least share what knowledge you have instead of Frustrating people.

Thanks