Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammonia electrolyte?

precaster1@msn.com Guest

Ammonia electrolyte?

Any opinions on using ammonia for an electrolyte? I dont think it freezes very easy, and it is conductive. It might stay clean but what do y'aal think?

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Stop flooding me with opinions please. The more i read about it the more i like the idea, will begin testing. You could even use piss if its strong enough, that should really please you treehuggers out there, now that is true recycling no?

Smith03Jetta Guest
    You breathe it, you die, it's that simple. (Depending on the concentration)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by precaster1@msn.com View Post
    Any opinions on using ammonia for an electrolyte? I dont think it freezes very easy, and it is conductive. It might stay clean but what do y'aal think?

Hundreds, if not thousands of experimenters over several years effort, have determined that NaOH and KOH are the best electrolytes.

Why not follow the experts?

NASA/Russians use 28% KOH in a life or death application in space to generate breathing oxygen.

Is it your goal to research electrolytes?

BoyntonStu

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Hundreds, if not thousands of experimenters over several years effort, have determined that NaOH and KOH are the best electrolytes.

Why not follow the experts?

NASA/Russians use 28% KOH in a life or death application in space to generate breathing oxygen.

Is it your goal to research electrolytes?

BoyntonStu
    I am using lye. That doesn't mean there isn't anything better waiting out there. Isn't the point of this forum to throw ideas out there to people who may know all about it instead of each one having to do it all. Pardon me for asking, sheesh. Ammonia has been used as fuel before, cars and rockets and is still being considered, thats what got my attention.

hoboincidaho Guest

Talking

We're skeptical it's true. We do in fact want to help you. Above it was stated you should use KOH (Potassium Hydroxide or "caustic potash") or NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide).
    The previous posts are all correct. They are not trying to derail you in any way.

REAL TREEHUGGERS USE PISS!
    LOL.

That was such an interesting thing to read about the astronauts. Life or death, they need oxygen.
    I don't know about you, but if I'm in that situation, I would hope the R&D dept. for NASA did their job right and got the best electrolytes! I believe they did.

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Ammonia works , its just too foamy. I use lye but do you think nasa tried everything under the sun? I don't follow the astronaut comments, where did you read that?

Quote Originally Posted by precaster1@msn.com View Post
    Ammonia works , its just too foamy. I use lye but do you think nasa tried everything under the sun? I don't follow the astronaut comments, where did you read that?
    Hi precaster1,

Here is some information on "NASA" the use of Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) in the space shuttle fuel cells, this has been general knowledge for about 20 years ??

http://inventors.about.com/od/fstart...cell_plant.htm

A fuel cell is the reverse of a HHO generator if your not aware of this.

Regards,
    Fuzzy

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I can imagine that one reason why NASA would not use Ammonia is that it would kill the astronauts instantly if they had an Ammonia leak in their closed crew compartments.

My father is permanently disabled right now because of toxic chemical exposure at a fertilizer plant in Sterlington Louisiana.

He was constantly exposed to dangerous levels of Ammonia, Sulfuric Acid, Hydrochloric Acid, Formaldehyde and other chemicals when he was employed there as a millwright.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith03Jetta View Post
    I can imagine that one reason why NASA would not use Ammonia is that it would kill the astronauts instantly if they had an Ammonia leak in their closed crew compartments.
    Hi Smith03Jetta,

NASA does use Ammonia for the heating and cooling only because of the 240 degrees temperature swing from daylight to night 15 time a day. All the equipment is exterior of the crew compartment this includes the International Space Station.

Regards,
    Fuzzy