Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammonia electrolyte?

Ammonia electrolyte

I just recently stumbled upon ammonia when I was looking for something to combine out oxygen in the bubbler. I agree that using pure (anhydrous) ammonia is unworkable, especially since it will return to gas when warmed and not under pressure. However it seems that making--or better, buying the ready made solution of it in water is the compromise you guys might like. Instead of KOH+H20, why not KOH+H20+NH3? You end up with less O2 and more H with some N2. I'll take the N over the O until I get this sensor crap mastered. I am going to try it this week. Check these out:
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...niversity.html

http://webche.ent.ohiou.edu/eerl/doc...05-Ammonia.pdf

It kind of goes hand in hand with the Urea electrolysis

"Ammonia Electrolysis Cell – Research at Ohio University has shown that hydrogen is evolved by electrolysis of an aqueous ammonia solution at a small fraction of the electric energy required from water electrolysis. In fact, the energy contained in the hydrogen is greater than the electric energy required to produce it. The hydrogen is also free of contaminants, and suitable for use in PEM fuel cells or internal combustion engines. This approach, which is now being commercialized, opens up numerous opportunities for harvesting energy from animal waste and wastewaster. (Contact: Gerri Botte, Ohio University, 740-593-9670, botte@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu or Ben Schafer, American Hydrogen Corporation, 503-645-2523, ben.schafer@hydrafuelcell.com)"

From http://www.ammoniafuelnetwork.org/projects.html

If we are extracting 2 atoms of Hydrogen and 1 atom O for fuer, why not use something that would furnish 3xH, 1N, and some Os....

What about mixing the ammonia with water, resulting in ammonium, NH4... non valatile and electrically conductive...

More H's, some N's, some O's, conductivity, act as electrolyzer, cheap, I will give it a try this week. We can also mix ammonia with sea salt. hmmm must be tasty.

2NH3 → N2 + 3H2
    NNO + 3HHO triple hydrogen production if it doesn't recombine to foamy H2O2 ?
    -------------------------
    6x6 plates (304SS)
    Currently researching on:
    - Al3O2 .5 micron-spheres blasted to Ni-plated SS electrodes
    - Hydrophilic center-cell tissue spacers
    - Neoprene pressure builder in HHO outlet associated with pre-cell water pump
    - Ni-Ti (.016") filaments welded to SS electrodes to guide current distribution
    - Organic Polymers (selective membrane, electrode life, solid electrolyte, etc)
    -------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rboos View Post
    I will give it a try this week. We can also mix ammonia with sea salt.
    Try mixing a little ammonia & KOH and tell me how it goes