Thread: dry cell electrolite question

grytvikken Guest

dry cell electrolite question

Hi I have made a dry cell generator that works quite well, it runs a gas out put and a return from the bubbler. When powered it pushes both gas and electrolite up into the bubbler where it eventually returns to the generator.
    My question is in regard to what is the safest ( for the engine ) electrolite to use as the gas off my bubbler will have have trace elements of the electrolite im sure. I thought about putting a second bubbler in the system but im wondering if is neccessary and if it would have a negitive effect on the amount of gas getting to the engine.
    cheers

In my own experience of building and running dry cells, the safest electrolyte for your engine is to buy a bottle of distilled white vinegar from your grocery store, however, you won't produce as well with it.

Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) or Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) will give you the best results, but you *MUST* employ at least a bubbler to remove the mist vapour from the HHO line.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    In my own experience of building and running dry cells, the safest electrolyte for your engine is to buy a bottle of distilled white vinegar from your grocery store, however, you won't produce as well with it.

Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) or Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) will give you the best results, but you *MUST* employ at least a bubbler to remove the mist vapour from the HHO line.
    Guss,

Do you have a comparison of the 3 electorate production efficiencies?

For example if KOH does 1 LPM, what would NaOH and vinegar do?

Would NaOH do 0.9 LPM and vinegar 0.8 LPM?

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Guss,

Do you have a comparison of the 3 electorate production efficiencies?

For example if KOH does 1 LPM, what would NaOH and vinegar do?

Would NaOH do 0.9 LPM and vinegar 0.8 LPM?

BoyntonStu
    I don't have any direct figures, but I can share the following from this morning:

Half a gallon distilled water + half a teaspoon of KOH flake:

28 amps - 500ml in 50 seconds

Half a gallon distilled white vinegar (5% acidic strength):

15 amps - gave up trying to collect about 100ml after 30 seconds

By the way, who's Guss?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

javierf Guest
    I've tried the 4 or 5 most popular electrolytes mentioned in different sites and forums. By far, the one that has worked best for me is KOH, and if you can use it in low concentrations then I think that with a good second bubbler you should be pretty safe.

With respect to the gas production, it shouldn't have a negative effect. If you generate the gas, and you make sure you have no leaks, you can have 5 bubblers in series that your production should be fine.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I don't have any direct figures, but I can share the following from this morning:

Half a gallon distilled water + half a teaspoon of KOH flake:

28 amps - 500ml in 50 seconds

Half a gallon distilled white vinegar (5% acidic strength):

15 amps - gave up trying to collect about 100ml after 30 seconds

By the way, who's Guss?
    Guss? GRRRRRRR! Sorry.

BoyntonGtu

Quote Originally Posted by javierf View Post
    I've tried the 4 or 5 most popular electrolytes mentioned in different sites and forums. By far, the one that has worked best for me is KOH, and if you can use it in low concentrations then I think that with a good second bubbler you should be pretty safe.

With respect to the gas production, it shouldn't have a negative effect. If you generate the gas, and you make sure you have no leaks, you can have 5 bubblers in series that your production should be fine.
    JavierF;

I have to agree with your assesment, of the multi bubblers.

I run my Power feed cable, and HHO tube under the cars, from the cargo area in back.

Because the HHO lines are so long, I thiught I should employ two bubblers, one at the generators, and one under the hood. This has worked out very well, and the only change I plan to make now, is to employ an airstone inside both bubblers, and to possibly add vinegar to the bubbler in the engine compartment (or possibly both).
    For larger photos of offerings see:
    http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

Two bubblers will not have an adverse on actual gas production. The loss in production that many people claim to have experienced only has happened to me when the cell is running too hot. What I am sure is happening is that the loss is actualy steam re condencing into water as it cools in the bubblers. You want that to happen.