Thread: Could you just use an old battery?

brunet Guest

Could you just use an old battery?

I have a bunch of old aircraft open cap cell vented manifold battery's at work. I was thinking of emptying the acid out and replacing it with water and baking soda, connect to directly to the cars battery then run the hose from the manifold outlet to the intake of the engine, teoretically it should work. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

fosgate3 Guest
    With my limited knowledge in this area, I would say that it sounds like a good idea. I dont know how electrolysis will work with the lead plates in the battery.. but that's really a good thought. I may try that and see what happens.

CHRISTOPHER Guest

YE

it will work but not for long the reason we use ss in our cells it to slow down the eating of the cells. whats going to happen is it will work untill the lead has made the water go off and the cell will ether come to a halt or the lead plates will die. (for want of a better word) but you got the right idea.

Ronjinsan Guest
    I like the idea of using the battery case though!

Fishhook Guest

Old Battery

I am new to this forum, but had the same idea. I am trying to decide on what configuration I would like to build.
    I also had thought of using an old battery. Two thoughts on that.

First, make certain that the battery does not have a dead short, that is if you are using the original lead plates in the battery. This is what kills a lot of batteries. From what I have learned so far, the battery case configuration should be fine. Also, mounting brackets and the like are readily available for batteries, easing the installation of your fuel cell.

Second, the use of a header tank should keep the plates from ever running dry. This would also be a handy avenue for cooling the electrolyte. Lead handles acids well, I don't know about bases like NaOH, or KOH. The header tank would also help to cool the electrolyte.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Please read some of the no no's for this idea, specially one above from Christopher which is quite correct. The lead in batteries today is not pure lead, its a calcium compound, wont take long for it to disintegrate. The actitvity in a HHO cell is far more violent than a battery! As I said the case is a good idea, empty it and chuck therest away!

Ronjinsan Guest
    Please read some of the no no's for this idea, specially one above from Christopher which is quite correct. The lead in batteries today is not pure lead, its a calcium compound, wont take long for it to disintegrate. The actitvity in a HHO cell is far more violent than a battery! As I said the case is a good idea, empty it and chuck the rest away!