Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My booster exploded. but why?

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pj91gsx View Post
    If I had the proper container, could I run the booster at higher temperatures all the time? Im not too conserned about the piping itself, because I have it in the bumper where it must be getting cooled of really well.
    You could try to use male/female connectors. Make the hole the size of the connector, glue it in place. That would reduce resistance. You could wire direct, and glue around the wire, but you wouldn't be able to disconnect it.

I've been thinking about this with metal lids. Make the hole a little bigger, put in a non-conducting insert, extend it a little bit on top and bottom so you are sure not to have bolt/metal contact. Just a thought.

Hook a a volt/ohms meter and see what is going on.

pj91gsx Guest
    thanks for the replys. I found a jar that will work at walmart for 3.50. Is there any fear of anything happening to the jar? Will it melt my plastic bumper, could the glass not be thick enough?

Smith03Jetta Guest
    You are engineering a device to be added to your BMW to improve it's gas mileage. I really don't think the following words belong in your posts.

1. $3.50
    2. Walmart
    3. Jar
    4. Glass

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    After I melted my first pvc cap I changed how I bolted the conductors through the cap. I ran the bolt through the ss strap then put a nut on it and tightened it down. Then I run the bolt through the cap and put a nut on it and tightened it down. By doing this you don't use the cap to keep tension on the connection. So the assembly order goes: bolt, gen connector, nut(tighten), pvc cap, washer and nut(tighten). So far its worked for me. Hope that helps.
    It also helps to use rubber washers between flat stainless steel washers before tightening the connector bolts. Also, I add a little Goop, between the top rubber washer, and the ABS cap, so when it tightens, it fills in around the bolt as it passes through the ABS.

Always tighten the straps with a nut, before inserting washers, etc., and always use absolutely nothing except quality stainless steel fasteners, lockwashers, washers, nuts, etc.

Even adding just one item that is not proper stainless steel, will cause corrosion, and cause a loosening of the connection, and possible sparks.

That is what caused the problem to this man's generator, in the first place.
    For larger photos of offerings see:
    http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

Scooterdog Guest
    thanks for the replys. I found a jar that will work at walmart for 3.50. Is there any fear of anything happening to the jar? Will it melt my plastic bumper, could the glass not be thick enough?
    Maybe I misse this: What kind of jar? The glass will get hot no matter the thickness. dont' you have a fuse in there somewhere? Do you have room to put aluminum foil in the bumper area?? If you use enough, it may disapate the heat before it reaches your plastic bumper, you don't want to warp it. Just a thought.

You could do alum. foil, rubber(from a tube)alum. foil, rubber etc...

pj91gsx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    Maybe I misse this: What kind of jar? The glass will get hot no matter the thickness. dont' you have a fuse in there somewhere? Do you have room to put aluminum foil in the bumper area?? If you use enough, it may disapate the heat before it reaches your plastic bumper, you don't want to warp it. Just a thought.

You could do alum. foil, rubber(from a tube)alum. foil, rubber etc...
    there is plenty of room im thinking of setting it on a wood block. and putting screws around it that stick up to hold it in place.

Scooterdog Guest
    there is plenty of room im thinking of setting it on a wood block. and putting screws around it that stick up to hold it in place.
    Yes sir, that would work too. Unless it's getting so hot it could ignite the wood lol.

pj91gsx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    Yes sir, that would work too. Unless it's getting so hot it could ignite the wood lol.
    lol. scooterdog, have you calmed down? are you good? maybe claim that your account was hacked into.