Thread: Winterizing A generator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ShowMeHHO Guest

Winterizing A generator

I have read where you can use METHYL ALCOHOL alcohol and some say green antifreeze . Temp is supposed to reach 30 this week and it gets allot colder than that when winter hits ..
    My generator hold 48 to 54 fluid oz of distilled water and electrolyte my question is how much do I use ? and can one get it safe at very low temps (15 or below) or should I just drain it ?
    I am in Missouri and I know it gets allot colder up North anyone living in those cold temps your advice would be appreciated .
    Again How much to add to my 50 fluid oz of water I need to know

Thanks

Honda_Hydroxy Guest
    I can't remember where I found this, but here it is. Copied from another forum, I believe.

ShowMeHHO Guest

File didn't open

Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Hydroxy View Post
    I can't remember where I found this, but here it is. Copied from another forum, I believe.

I couldn't open file ???

Honda_Hydroxy Guest
    copy and paste:

ALWAYS PRE-MIX the electrolyte in an open container when adding denatured alcohol to the Sodium Hydroxide and distilled water. Let the mixture sit, uncontained/uncapped, for about 30 minutes before adding the mixture to the MileageMaker device.

The cell, like other pieces of equipment utilizing H2O that is exposed to below freezing elements, must be protected from freezing hard during cold weather. This can be accomplished by adding denatured alcohol in order to achieve a 5% to 15% alcohol solution. A 5% solution (about 8 liquid oz. per gallon of water) will protect against a hard freeze down to about 10º F.. A 10% solution (about 13 liquid oz. per gallon of water) will protect against a hard freeze down to about 0º F.. A 15% solution (about 21 liquid oz. per gallon) will protect against a hard freeze down to about -15º F.. 28 ounces per gallon will protect to about -30ºF..

For below-freezing initial start-up: Mix 1 gallon distilled water, denatured alcohol (8 to 28 liquid oz.), and Sodium Hydroxide 32 oz. by weight, in an open container and let the mixture sit open for 30 minutes before closing or transferring the mixture to a closed container. There will be an initial reaction causing the mixture to get very warm and expand, so keep the mixing container open to accommodate the heating and expansion, before capping the mixing container or adding the mixture to the cells.

When the cell requires replacement electrolyte for continued below-freezing operation, be sure to include 8 to 28 liquid ounces of denatured alcohol with each gallon of distilled water, along with 1/2 ounce by weight (about 1 teaspoon) of Sodium Hydroxide in the replacement water to maintain the 5% to 15% alcohol solution and replace any Sodium Hydroxide in the cells, which may have been neutralized with use.

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Hydroxy View Post
    copy and paste:

ALWAYS PRE-MIX the electrolyte in an open container when adding denatured alcohol to the Sodium Hydroxide and distilled water. Let the mixture sit, uncontained/uncapped, for about 30 minutes before adding the mixture to the MileageMaker device.

The cell, like other pieces of equipment utilizing H2O that is exposed to below freezing elements, must be protected from freezing hard during cold weather. This can be accomplished by adding denatured alcohol in order to achieve a 5% to 15% alcohol solution. A 5% solution (about 8 liquid oz. per gallon of water) will protect against a hard freeze down to about 10º F.. A 10% solution (about 13 liquid oz. per gallon of water) will protect against a hard freeze down to about 0º F.. A 15% solution (about 21 liquid oz. per gallon) will protect against a hard freeze down to about -15º F.. 28 ounces per gallon will protect to about -30ºF..

For below-freezing initial start-up: Mix 1 gallon distilled water, denatured alcohol (8 to 28 liquid oz.), and Sodium Hydroxide 32 oz. by weight, in an open container and let the mixture sit open for 30 minutes before closing or transferring the mixture to a closed container. There will be an initial reaction causing the mixture to get very warm and expand, so keep the mixing container open to accommodate the heating and expansion, before capping the mixing container or adding the mixture to the cells.

When the cell requires replacement electrolyte for continued below-freezing operation, be sure to include 8 to 28 liquid ounces of denatured alcohol with each gallon of distilled water, along with 1/2 ounce by weight (about 1 teaspoon) of Sodium Hydroxide in the replacement water to maintain the 5% to 15% alcohol solution and replace any Sodium Hydroxide in the cells, which may have been neutralized with use.
    And now that you are no longer using water, (mixing water with anything becomes a different chemical compound) you accomplish what? That's like saying "I mixed water with my antifreeze 50/50, it's water and antifreeze". No, no, no it's not.

keeping cell warm

I will be useing battery warmer to keep my cell warm during the night.

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    And now that you are no longer using water, (mixing water with anything becomes a different chemical compound) you accomplish what? That's like saying "I mixed water with my antifreeze 50/50, it's water and antifreeze". No, no, no it's not.
    Scooterdog, that is a very purist point of view. There is nothing wrong with that, but most of us have to do what is most practical for our situation. If we were to be complete purists, we would not add electrolyte to the water either.
    For me, I think isopropyl alcohol is going to be the best option. My truck sits outside constantly. It is not feasable to have a constant drain on my battery to warm the cell. If a couple of bucks worth of alcohol will get my gen through the winter without freezing, then I really have no choice but to use it.
    I understand and respect the desire to function on principle, but you have to know when to bend and compromise for your own benifit. Maybe soon we will figure out another way.