Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accidents

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I'm posting his photo because some browsers are unable to get to the photo...

Based on this photo, I'm guessing it was the MAF or MAP sensor that ignited the HHO. I really don't understand how a spark plug can possibly ignite the hydrogen inside the intake manifold. It's just impossible. Intake valves are CLOSED when the spark plug fires... It's that simple... The only way this could have happened with a spark plug would be a backfire out the intake. That's not likely because this is a fuel injected vehicle. Backfires are not common on EFI vehicles unless you've got your ignition timing REALLY screwed up or you have an intake valve that's stuck open. If you had a stuck intake valve and were getting backfires you would have known about it earlier and would probably have a damaged Throttle body. Now that I'm thinking about it you probably have a damaged throttle body anyway because of this explosion.

If my theory is correct: The MAF/MAP sensor ignited the HHO, then all you really have to do (if you know you have HHO in your intake) is to disconnect the MAF/MAS sensors and crank up your engine and let it run for a few seconds. It will run like crap but it will flush out all the gas in your intake manifold. It might even idle really high for a moment or two while the engine uses up the high volume of HHO gas. You will know when the HHO is used up because the engine idle will return to normal. You can then turn off the engine, plug your MAF/MAP sensor wires back in. You will then need to disconnect your battery wires and touch them together for at least 15 seconds. This will clear your error codes in your ECU caused by disconnected MAF/MAP sensors. Take my advice with a grain of salt. I believe this should work but ultimately it's your money...

The best use of your money would be to wire it correctly the first time.

Here it is...

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Holy crap That would have scared the crap out of me. Just be more careful next time

I wonder if you floor board the acc. pedal it would have given the flame and pressure a place to go. Probably blown air filter out. Might not have done that much damage. I don't want to test it. My wife just last night left the gen in the truck on for 12hrs. Won't do that again.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    If the throttle body/carburetor valve had been open when the ignition was turned on, the flame would have blown back into the air plenum and probably popped the air plenum off the intake manifold. It may have even cracked the plastic housing. Still cheaper and easier to replace than an intake manifold.

Jaxom Guest
    If you know enough about your engine to be able to locate the crankshaft sensor, you can simply disconnect it and then spin the engine over with the throttle depressed. With no CKP signal, the computer does not know the engine is turning and will not tell the injectors or the coils to fire, therefore allowing "clean" air to be pumped through the engine with no risk of ignition.

Dewayne Guest
    Why not spend $20 on a relay and wire it so it is impossible for this to happen (leaving the genny on.)
    A lot cheaper than a manifold or a law suite if someone had been looking under the hood
    when it exploded.

THINK SAFETY PEOPLE --- DAH is everyone blonde

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne View Post
    Why not spend $20 on a relay and wire it so it is impossible for this to happen (leaving the genny on.)
    A lot cheaper than a manifold or a law suite if someone had been looking under the hood
    when it exploded.

THINK SAFETY PEOPLE --- DAH is everyone blonde
    It's one of those temporary deals that just got delayed. At least in my case. I'll hook up my relay now.

hydrotinkerer,
    Me too, this was only temporary till the final design was finished.
    Thats one reason why I posted it, so other "temporary" setups will get taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    hydrotinkerer,
    Me too, this was only temporary till the final design was finished.
    Thats one reason why I posted it, so other "temporary" setups will get taken care of.
    I agree, Got my relay and switch TODAY.